Brat-3: ACTR Students Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Brat-3: ACTR Students Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
06-Nov-2000 02:10 AM
  ATTENTION CITIZENS OF OUR PORTAL!!!! HELP NEEDED!!!!!
Neo
Hey guys!
ok... ok.... I served to our community hard.... everyone knows that..... I did my best to keep in touch our community....

Now there is the time for every member of our community to do a bit for our community. So, if you really enjoyed time spent together, and if you are one of those who who comes here every other night, you might think a bit about problems of our Portal....

There are 2 issues I need to discuss..... the first is sad one.....

as all of you probably know that I have made this portal myself, but every web application has to be hosted somewhere, so I have put it on one of those "free" hosts.... But all of us know that free stuff is only in the trap.... so... our portal is at the trap...
I've got a message from our host (guy who hosts our portal), that their policy changed, and that they want to charge fee for hosting scripts and other cgi stuff...
I thought that I would be able to solve this problem myself, I've spent lots of time looking for another host, but in vain:-(

than, I put it temporaly illegaly on my univesrity server... (http://ra.msstate.edu.~avs1/brat3/), but I have to take it from there as soon as possible, otherwise I'm gonna have troubles...
so... someone advised me that what could we do is to collect money from all our community memebers.... we don't need a lot in order to keep running our portal.... there is $10 monthly basic fee (plus for additional trafic, but I don't think that we are going to expect for additional expenses on that), but if we pay for the first 5 months, we will get additional 2 months for free! So, 50 bucks - and we will have our portal for 7 months! This problem is not in time, I've start upgarding our portal, as you have probably noticed... and I have lots of interesting ideas. I planned to put lots of usefull stuff:
- music and mp3 links
- links for pages with free stuff (WE LOVE THAT! Mcloud promised to help us with that!)
- referats!!!!!!!!! YES!!! In English!
- Job opportunities.
- immigration information (for those of us who consider staying here)
- establishing new email accounts for us
- info on universities and scholarships
- and bunch of other stuff you will want to see and help me to prepare...

so, if you do want to see our portal alive and even more, to see it improved.... please help to rise funds. There are a lot of us!!!!! Please contribute as much as you can! 1 dollar, 2, 3! But just don't stay aside of this problem.... If you do care about us... our community, our relationships..... and if you still want to keep in touch our small community......
There will be made a list with the names of all people who made donations and it will be put on our portal (if it survives), and every member of OUR community will know due to whom this portal exists....

I'have a merchant account, so I'll be able to accept debit card payments. Don't worry, this was not me who made it:-) All transactions are secure, and I'll never know your card info... There are special credit card companies..... althought they will charge some perecentage from the payment.....

Please, let me know what do you think about this, and YOU are the ONES who decideds TO BE OR NOT TO BE for OUR COMMUNITY!

Have a blessed day,

Andy
P.S. I'm posting this issue only in UPEN1 Forum, please people from other universities don't feel offended, I just want to keep all messages in one place, adn as far as UPEN1 is the oldes, I decided to d it here....
[Brat 3: University of Pennsylvania I]

06-Nov-2000 02:23 AM
 Re: ATTENTION CITIZENS OF OUR PORTAL!!!! HELP NEEDED!!!!!
dornabella
Hi!

I can send you a check, if you like or if you give me your account number, I can go to bank and make a transfer.

This portal is great!!! It is a pitty to lose it like this...

06-Nov-2000 02:39 AM
X_Ray
how to transfer the money?

06-Nov-2000 03:35 AM
Neo
thank you guys....

I'll set up merchant account tomorrow....

credit company charges 25 cents per payment.... this is small fee, but taking into account that all donations will not be large, so I would suggest you guys to cooperate togetjer with those who is nearby....

look: credit company will charge 25 cets from one dollar. Thus we'll have only 75 cents available.
But if too person will cooperate and send one donation
we'll have 1.75!

so.... let us see who will be the kindest person:-))))!
This person who will send the largest donation will get a personal homepage at our new portal!

take care,

Andy

06-Nov-2000 05:06 AM
dornabella
I am not going to do this over the Internet, no way!!!
I better send you a check by mail. It will get you in 3-4 days

06-Nov-2000 08:10 AM
yerkin
The more details, the better. I can send you a buck.
But I don't get it, how is it $1.75 from two?.. Nevertheless, thorough info, please. People will hit you back with a green response ;)

YFK

06-Nov-2000 05:52 PM
musliba
that is how i sent check to the christmas organization, i think some of you did the same.
you go to bank with some cash , withdrawn from beloved itm and tell them that you want to send a check to smb(neo in our case) you give them your money and they make you sign some receit. they give you the yellow copy of this stuff and the original one you send to neo by regular mail. you just make sure he can cash it in his bank.
it is the approach that appeals to me.
btw, is there any deadline for paying to host?

> neo, pro personal homepage and the largest contribution, are you business major?? you do good in effective fundraising, encouraging and advertising
yours, masha

06-Nov-2000 06:32 PM
Neo
Hello,

we have already passed through deadline:-) And now I'm using my university server for scripting part. But I have to take it out of these AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!! Because I'm gonna face great troubles for violating university computer usage policy.

well....
http://ra.msstate.edu/~avs1/brat3/donation.html

this is the link for those of us who decided to support our portal. You can send donations either by check, or make them online.... I asure you that everything is secure.... but you are the one who decides.... but I do need to receive those money as soon as possible...

Masha, yes, I'm business major..... and I worked as a Chernobul fund fund raiser... anyway... talking about homepage.... if you will want someone to make a good homepage for you, you will probably be charged not less than 50 bucks.... so...here is you chance! get the cheapest one!

Andy

[ This message was edited by: Neo on: 11-6-2000 19:29 ]

06-Nov-2000 07:24 PM
komsaid1
hi,

Can anyone here explain me how to send money online. And how to send money by check also. As far as I understood from Masha's message, one has to go to the bank and do it. how would Neo know how, when and where to get it.

yours, Roxy

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 05:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved