Brat-3: ACTR Students Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Brat-3: ACTR Students Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
02-Feb-2001 03:56 AM
 Re: January, 26, 2001
orange_girl
Hi there!!!Thanks for the correction....By the way is your major English????..Or just a great love for it?????keep on going..Great knowledge of the proper English language!!!!!!!!!but i can write as i wish....And yeah...my major is English.....but amn't that excited about finding mistakes in people's writings....why on earth????????????/Take care!!!!!Appreciate your knowledge and smartness!!!!!!!!Wish you can get money to stay here !!!Nino.
[Brat 3: University of Pennsylvania I]

02-Feb-2001 04:36 AM
Alincho
I agree with Yerkin so much! Yes, I'm too excited about studying here, and it's wonderful compared to what we get at home. And why shouldn't I be excited? It's for one year after all; and I am enjoying it.
To Proper: "Gramotei" to the side. What's your major again??? Monetary factors NEVER-NEVER-NEVER influence any "REAL" economic factors. REAL means the factors that you get when you eliminate the influence of inflation: EX: real interest rate=nominal interest rate-inflation rate (all expressed in percentages). And capital flow does not have real or nominal options. It's just capital flow. Tak chto ostorozhno na povorotax, kak skazal kak to Ratmir
And don't take it serious, man. Sometimes it's important for people to say things out loud to make sure they sound right. And I don't think anything is wrong with it. Ya naprimer ni cherta ne znayu pro astronomiyu, i neskolko veshchey segodnya ponyala, kogda poprosila odnogo druga obyasnit' vsyo chto Yerkin napisal. Tak chto ne serdites' drug na druga.
XOXO
Alincho
PS. Partnerships have limited liability only when you specificaly talk about limited partnerships, when each partner is responsible for as much as he has invested. But each partner is still unlimitedly liable for the percentage he is liable for. This got confusing? Ok, if one partner is liable for 40%, the bankruptcy court can go after his whole property if needed to cover that 40%, which is still unlimited liability in a sense.

[ This message was edited by: Alincho on: 2-2-2001 05:00 ]

[ This message was edited by: Alincho on: 2-2-2001 05:04 ]

02-Feb-2001 04:51 AM
yerkin
A big swollen brain full of knowledge doesn't necessarily mean anything. Take me, for instance... [sigh]... All this baggage I've got in my head is not gonna get me anything except headaches.

You don't have to know that stuff, Alina. I'm glad to see that you're happy without knowing what the heck is Barnard Star, what's the Project Ozma, and how far are we from Proxima Centauri.

I'd recommend you to read "Vselennaya, Zhizn', Razum" by Shklovskii, Moskva, "Nauka", 1980. THEE MOST INTERESTING BOOK I'VE EVER READ.

Y

02-Feb-2001 01:59 PM
Alincho
I'll try to remember to find and read that book when I get back home, raz ti posovetoval
XOXO
Alincho

06-Feb-2001 04:26 AM
ratmir
Ja promolchy pro frazi ob ekonimke, procitiryjy Valery: "Primitivizm, dostypnij vsem kto ne lenitsya xodit' na lekcii..", end of citation.
Teper' ymnim parnyam znajyshchim, chto takoje teleskop (a znajyshchim li?): xotite impress kogo-to? Ne vlezajte v popsy.. Krome kak polnix profanov vi svojej "lzhe-nachitanostjy" nikogo ne ydivite. Napisali bi chto nit' to chto ne pishyt v zhyrnalax tipa "Myrzilki", naprimer nazvanije parochki zvezd iz svojego sozvezdija (zodiaka). Ymnije frazi po ximii i molecular biology sovetyjy priderzhat' dlya devyshek s gymanitarnix vyzov. Avos' ydastsya proizvesti vpechatlenije. Xotya pervaja stranica ychebnika malo kogo eshche ydivlyala.
Sovsem molchy pro English corrections but great respect to Nino.
Eshche kakije-nit' ymnije frazi po-nayke est'? Pozhalyjsta napishite eshche, a to y menya slozhitsya mnenije, chto znanije nekotorix lydej zaklychaetsya v zazybrivanii pari ymnix fraz. ( Vsegda nenavidel zybril'shchikov...)

Ochen' rad chto vse frazi bili vizybreni pravil'no, ne lydly tikat' nosom v oshibki, kak kotov v ix isprazhnenija. Ochen' xotel bi napisat' chto-to ymnoje, no bojys' sil'no ja poglypel, kak pochital nekotorije "post", mogy chto-to napytat' (

P.S. a po ancient Greek y nas ymnix razve nety????? Ny kak zhe tak.. a ny pokopajtes' v svoix bloknotax, golovax i internetax. Kak vse taki togo Boga zvali?

06-Feb-2001 03:06 PM
X_Ray
Rat, Greki ne znali Ego imeni. Mozhet poetomy i zatuhli kak civilizaciya..
A ty znaesh'?

06-Feb-2001 08:38 PM
ratmir
Y nas tyt ne ekzamen, ja sprashivajy ne potomy chto xochy proverit' kto znajet a kto net, a prosto potomy-chto zabil.
Greki ego imya znali, on y nix v kakoj-to legende kakyjy-to devky storozhil, a ona sbezhala. Kak devchenky zvali - tozhe ne pomny. ny da ladno.. nevermind.

Ratmiriys

[ This message was edited by: ratmir on: 2-6-2001 21:34 ]

09-Feb-2001 04:18 AM
yerkin
Touching... he-he-he. Da Cool Rat is on da run again!

Let me break your comments into pieces, bro. Sorry for a slight delay, though, too much homework to do.

First things first - lectures. That's right, you attentive boy, most of the things are simple excerpts from a very usual lecture. So what? Do you wanna say that most of you remember a lot (I'm not saying everything) from your lectures? And you should, guys, at least for your own education.

Constellations: true, some of the info was drawn from Walt Disney's Children's Encyclopaedia. As a matter of fact, you don't know even 10% of what's written there. Most of the basics in major sciences are given there, like what are in a nutshell b and a-rays and why does the water form a vortex when it drains down the bath.

Chemistry and molecular biology: sure thing, master mind, for you it seems to be a cover page of Chemistry101, coz you're smart (I assume you should be given the fact that you're a MIPT student). But little did you know, that those facts are not from the first page. Not even in school books, those would be called extracurricular facts.

English: well, I'm open-minded enough to assume that my English is far not perfect, nor will it ever become. The only thing I'm trying to do now is to polish the existing level in order to achieve relative profficiency. And, as one might've noticed looking at my mistakes, I am deliberately not using any dictionary whatsoever (neither Russian-English, nor English-English). Please forgive me, Rat The Great, for my humble ebonics might insult your delicate ears. In absense of Rus, I'll be your host for today J

Thanks for admitting that most of the phrases were correct, I really appreciate that. Although, I personally think that any native speaker would easily determine that the written style that I use and some typos/mistakes show that English is not my mother-tongue. The fact is that I'm not rushing to learn a bit of everything (like some guys are into Spanish now), instead I'd rather achieve advancement in few.

Zubrilki: true, man. I solely agree with you. I always hated "zubrilok", they screw up everything, especially in high school. I remember we had three exceptional graduates in our class, one complete dumb-ass (his Mom was working in our school, you see what I'm saying) and two girls-"zubrilki". The latter two always received 5 in most of the classes (even PE which they didn't attend at all). I always resented when they got 5 and I got 4 or even 3 in a field they don't know a jack about, the fact being that they just managed to drill-memorize (excuse me the use of a made-up word) abstract sequence of words and numbers (better than some Maxtor hard-drives J).

You're right, the knowledge is not justified by citation of random facts, the knowledge can be tested based on their implementation or during verbal debates, the latter being a more convenient way to prove it here. Want to "check me for lice" (proverit' na vshivost')? Do it here, I'd be glad to, though I'm sure I won't be able to answer most of your questions, it's just the debate that makes it worth it.

I must admit you're right in what you say: memorizing couple of grandiloquently sounding phrases does not constitute sound knowledge. What does then, you might ask? I'd say:

• When you have a world map in your room since childhood, so that you evetually remember each country's exact location, capital, bordering countries and stuff (yeah, you can say that's memorization).

• When you're watching scientific (or general outlook) programs on TV instead of watching some stupid cartoons (I mean childhood again). From them you manage to grab a bigger picture on everything (Ochevidnoe Neveroyatnoe, for instance).

• When you subscribe to "Tehnika Molodezhi" instead of booby "Murzilka" and then scan through voraciously absorbing every article (heard of "Capspian Monster", I had an authentic interest in "ekranoplany" and hovercrafts after reading that).

• When in order to get couple of lines of text to prepare a small report for a physics class you take a book on "Relativistskaya Teoriya Gravitatsii" from a library, but then don't immediately return it, but read it till the end (sometimes having difficulties understanding advanced mathematical terminology like "tenzor", etc.).

• When you find a book on astronomy dated 1980 somewhere far on your father's shelves, and eagerly read it despite its being so old. Even myriad of formulas and very few pictures does not disappoint you, you keep reading it till the end, and then next year find out that this book is a suplementary for your astronomy class.

• When suplemental technical translation courses bring you up front with various very narrowly specialized books and you translate them word-by-word from English into Russian (thank God, not vice versa), Biology (general zoology and anatomy), Computer Science (old book on using punchcards and general layout of a generic PC's internals), Astronomy (stars' characteristics, classification, and some of the objects from both the Messier and the NGC catalogs).

• When you have a SES (Sovetskii Enciklopedicheskii Slovar'), which is thick and heavy; you open it ona random page look through couple of articles whenever you have some free time (mostly in the restroom, admit it, guys). SES, being a book on a wide range of topics, can fill your brain with all kinds of things, from Enceladus to terpene, from Justinianvs to Protactinium.

• Books, books, all about books. Encyclopaedia of Young Physicist, Encyclopaedia of Young Mathematician, Encyclopaedia of Young Philologist. All the elementary prticles I know come from the first one (adrons, bozones, quarks). Do the words "up", "down", "strange", "charmed", "top", "bottom" say anything to you? What about Lobachevski's classic pseudosphere (alright, I admit, I don't remember what the last one is).

• When you're killing your friend every time you try to steal his book (if not take it by goodwill) on proteins and nucleic acids with articles like "razdelenie tsentrifugoi faz DNK v gradiente CsCl" and "shema vluyaniya ribonukleazy na process sinteza belka v shtamme faga T4".

This is what one would call knowledge, not applied but still a knowledge. Definitely not a "zubrezh". The only outcome of such an activity, I'd say, is increased thinking... about everything. When you start thinking too globally (even universally, if you will), that scares, that REALLY SCARES. Don't do it.

Y

PS:
  • All comments, good or bad, are equally welcome. Post them here.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 01:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved