Brat-3: ACTR Students Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Brat-3: ACTR Students Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
10-Jan-2003 06:38 PM
 Accent Post Reply
Cru
Community member
Home Coutry:
Hey everyone

Had you ever been feeling unconfortable because of your accent, if you had one

11-Jan-2003 03:15 AM
 Re: Accent Post Reply
Olesya
Community member
Home Coutry:
I think everybody has an accent at the first year of the States. I felt uncomfortable too, but I figured out everybody really liked my accent, but I hated it. Now in my city there are a lot of students from Arabic countires and when they speak Russian or Ukrainian - I just love their accent. So don't feel bad about that - this is fine!
Olesya
P.S. By the way, what state are you in now and where are from in Ukraine?

[Message was edited by Olesya on January 11 ]

11-Jan-2003 03:20 PM
Cru
Community member
Home Coutry:
Olesya, why do you think it concerns me?
I feel pretty good about my accent... It`s my third year in the United States, so I eliminated it the best I could Well, I came from Khmeln obl, but I came here for permanent residency, so now I consider USA my home country

11-Jan-2003 03:21 PM
Cru
Community member
Home Coutry:
P.S. BTW, Neo, I see you forgot about a favor I asked you for.

11-Jan-2003 08:35 PM
Tarasishe
Community member
Home Coutry:
Accents are cool! North American chicks love accents So, no need to "brush up" my articulation.
T.

12-Jan-2003 11:59 AM
timka
Community member
Home Coutry:

hiya all here! I check the messages in the forums everyday but never reply - no time and wish, you see. this time you've come up with a problem that meant A LOT for me.
Accents ARE cool - why should we all speak alike, hey? But I didn't get it when I just came to the US, instead I thought I had to speak as the aborigenes do - which was a mistake! I did a lot to eliminate the accent, but even in May some folks would say I still had a bit of Eastern European accent. So let it be! Respect your home country with the way you speak! Jews aren't afraid to pronounce "R" THEIR way! So why be shy???

[Message was edited by timka on January 12 ]

13-Jan-2003 02:17 AM
Tarasishe
Community member
Home Coutry:
So true so true.
However, at work (i talk on the phone ) people somehow think I am french LOL, though I cannt even count to 5 in french! Weird stuff is going on, Im telling ya LOL
T.

13-Jan-2003 02:24 PM
Cru
Community member
Home Coutry:
LoL
Some people think I am Spanish and speak spanish to me, even thou I didn`t pronounce their R + I didn`t open my mouth at all
And once I said "Qui te pasa?" to a spanish guy, so he refused to believe that I am ukrainian

14-Jan-2003 04:43 AM
Alincho
Community member
Home Coutry:
Vsem privet
Timur- long time no see..... Taras, moi pochtenia, che to tebya ne vidno na MSN, you're away most of the time, why? I miss talking to you..... Oles'ka, whazzzup babe
Cru, nice to meet you Didn't miss anyone did I?
Now that I'm done saying "Tsar, ochen' priyatno, zdrastvuyte, tsar' ochen' priyatno" .... Accents you say? Cool thing, something like folk costumes... Something that sticks to you no matter how hard you try... I"ve often been told that accent is sweet (mine in particular ) The fact is that the harder you try to get rid of it, the milder AND sweeter it gets. And then, bad accent is funny... they become stereotypes later... you know. like people make fun of Georgians and Azerbaijanis (a little bit of Armenians) for the Caucasian accent in Russian.... So keep your accents and keep cool......
XOXO
Alincho
PS. late greetings of the season, sorry I was out of town, and with absolutely no access to I-net. Love ya all, and wish all the best.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Oct 08:10 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved