Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
30-Jan-2003 05:43 AM
 Help needed - USA WORK and TRAVEL Post Reply
timka
Community member
Home Coutry:
Hello buds! What's up in your life?!

Has anyone tried Work'n'Travel program yet? If the answer is yes, please tell me one simple thing: THE NOTORIOUS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER THAT WE GOT IN THE USA YEARS AGO - IS IT STILL VALID or was it valid only the year we were studying?

I've got a question, a really silly one. Let's imagine you have a relative in the US, a reaaaallly close one. Now, she/he doesn't have even the GREEN CARD, not to mention permanent citizenship. But there's someone out there who can help make the invitation/affidavit. Would you try this alternative or would you rather pay $1.500 to the StarTravel agency, or any other agency of the kind? That's my question, and it's a vey urgent one, cuz I have only 1 (!!!) day to decided. Tomorrow will be too late already.

Any advice, any thought would be DEEEEEPLY APPRECIATED. I KNOW JUST HOW SMART THE BOYS AND GIRLS ARE HERE, SO - what would you say, I wonder?

30-Jan-2003 09:52 AM
 Re: Help needed - USA WORK and TRAVEL Post Reply
Olesya
Community member
Home Coutry:
Hey Timur!
Didn't get your question very well, but will try to answer it anyway
Your SS# is valid all the time. It is given to you once in a lifetime, so...
I know a bit about work and travel program and even wanted to try it, but it was too late, because I wasn't a student anymore. this program is only for the students.
Hope this little info will help you somehow.
Olesya
P.S. By the way, I've seen your article in FSA Ugrad magazine! Good job!

30-Jan-2003 10:02 AM
Tarasishe
Community member
Home Coutry:
Accidently I have posted the reply under the different topic. Timur, check one the one on the top with “” as a subj line.

31-Jan-2003 04:47 AM
LILKA
Country editor
Home Coutry:
HI THERE
I HAVE MANY FRIENDS, WHO WENT 2 STATES THROUGH THAT KIND F OFFICES. SOME 2 EARN $$$, SOME JUST 2 MIGRATE 2 STATES

DON’T PAY UR MONEY 2 OFFICES!!! OFFICES R GOOD ONLY WHEN THEY ENSURE U A JOB IN THE STATES STILL IN NIS BY SOME CONTRACT. BT IF, AS U SAID, U HAVE A RILI CLOSE FRIEND THERE WHO CAN HELP U IN FINDIN JOBS /WHY NOT, EVEN ILLEGAL ;) / GO 4 IT!

HOPE I WASN’T TOOOO LATE
GLUCK! LICO KAVKAZSKOY NACIANAL'NOSTI

31-Jan-2003 01:06 PM
Neo
Community member
Home Coutry:
Hey Tim!

First thing, please try to post messages in appropriate forums next time Your message belongs to the Help Forum

Anyway... I guess I might help you with your problem.
First, everyone who goes to the states with W&T program gets J1 visa which allows to stay there 5 month.
And the point is that in order to get J1 visa, you need to have IAP-66. The employer can't issue such form!

There is a certain number of organizations that can issue IAP-66 for you!

So, your friends/relatives will not be able to help you to get it!

However, those jobs that they will offer you are usually shitty... so, you can use your friends to get a better job and than W&T agency will issue IAP-66 for you.
Also, be sure to find a "real" job. Because I'm sure agency will call to check!

As for 1.5K.... well... as far as I know this sum includes round trip tickets, insurance and some other stuff... so your best bet would be to go with agency.

As for the question about SSN. Yeah, that's right. Yours is valid forever))
Though in some cases you might wanna to get a new one

Hope this helps!
Andy

02-Feb-2003 03:03 AM
timka
Community member
Home Coutry:

Thank you - thank you, dear all!
I've made up my mind - just as Neo said, I've signed up for the work and travel program. I'll write you later, how it's going.

And - Neo - sorry for posting the message not in the appropriate forum. I did it deliberately - it wouldn't get much attention otherwise.

Timmy

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 01:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved