Is there anyone from?
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Is there anyone from? Post new topic
Author
Topic
19-May-2006 09:25 PM
 Im from the UK : HELP !!! : I dont know what to do next.... I want to come to America to study... Post Reply
jmartin678
Community member
Home Coutry:
Hello,

My name is James Martin. I am wanting to do a course in journalism, as I want to become a television journalist some day. I have done quite well here in the UK already, but need to be in America to reach my true potential as hardly any colleges in the UK offer journalism courses.

Anyway,
I am a British Citizen, aged 17, and currently living in the UK with a UK passport.
What do I have to do before being able to come to America to attend a college. Would I be able to start a course straight away. Do I have to enroll on a course, then come to America, or do I come to America and then enroll on the course. Then I would need to know what to do regarding accommodation, as I do not have any money at 17, and I am from a poor family as my parents cant work as my father is disabled. Is there on-campus accommodation for international students? Also, would a course be free of charge for me to do? and finally, Would I get financial help off an organization or the government for everyday living costs for clothing, food, bills etc. Because moving to America would be building a whole new life for myself from nothing.

Please advise me,

Many Thanks
James
jmartin678@yahoo.co.uk

04-Jun-2006 10:35 AM
 Re: Im from the UK : HELP !!! : I dont know what to do next.... I want to come to America to study... Post Reply
teodora22
Community member
Home Coutry:
Hi, James,

I am from Bulgaria, and 5 years ago I went through the same experience that you are about to go through. I came to study in America with no money. It is possible to get it done, but you will need all the courage you can can summon.

First you need to find the college you want to attend, apply to it and get accepted. This is usually not a problem, all you need to do is take the SAT, get a couple of recommendations and put your papers in the mail. My advice to you is to look for a college or university that offers scholarships to international students. If you do well on the SAT and have a strong high school GPA your chances of getting a scholarship are quite high. Since you are saying you have no money, a scholarship is your only chance to come to America to study, because there is no such thing here as free education. College tuition ranges from $15,000 to $30,000 a year. Even if you get a full-time job while going to school, you cannot make that money. Additionally, as an international student, you are not authorized to work in the USA.

Once you get accpted to the college of your choice, you have to get a F-1 visa to come to USA. The only issue here is to document that you have the money to support yourself while studying in the USA. Immigration wants to see that you are really coming to study, and that you have the money to do it. You can find a person to write a letter for you that he/she will be your sponsor, and prove they have the money. That will most likely do the job, they do not check if the person is actually sponsoring you.

By the way, every college has detailed instructions for international students how to apply, and so on. So start checking the colleges websites, and looking for a scholarship. You can do it! Good luck.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Wed May 07:05 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved