Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
16-Jan-2006 02:29 PM
 Student Visa Post Reply
Bluefriend
Community member
Home Coutry:
Hi -
I am not sure if this question will be posted in the right place, if not - perhaps someone will still stumble across it and have advice and answers...
So -
I am currently living and working in England, I have dual SA/UK citizenship - I am hoping to start a nursing program in the US in September and have a few questions re: student visas/application process/interview:

I will have funds to cover tuition of my course, I have a US friend whose parents have offered accomadation and board for the duration of my program, roughly 2 years, would this work in my favour in terms of getting a student visa?

I am 31 and this is a second degree/career change that I am embarking on, is that likely to affect my visa application?

What kind of information would I need to provide the Embassy in terms of 'proof of intention to return to the UK after studying' - although I have relatives here, both of my parents are in SA, I obviously don't own property here either - does any one have any suggestions on this one?

Finally, how common is it that student visas are refused?

Many thanks for any advice out there.

18-Jan-2006 09:27 AM
 Re: Student Visa Post Reply
LILKA
Country editor
Home Coutry:
hi there,

to get a student visa, first of all you need to get admitted into a uni in usa. then the uni sends you the docs needed for getting the visa (i recall we called it "pink form" or so 4-5 years ago). if u have the admition latter, proof of financial support (say enough amount in your account to cover the tuition, room&board costs for 1 year/semester, or a statement from a sponsor), then you'll have all the chances to get your visa (especially from a european country).

good luck, Lil

18-Jul-2006 01:16 PM
 Re: Student Visa Post Reply
spooks
Community member
Home Coutry:
The form that the school send is an I-20 visa.
The fact that you are a UK citizen will actually be good for you.
I personally did not have any trouble getting a visa, but that was in 2000 and things have changed.
I think the most important if you go to an interview is having a plan that includes coming back to you home country. That's all they want: to make sure you will not stay to work in the US.
I personally don't think you will have any troubles, especially since you are from Europe.
Let me know how it goes.
BTW if you come to the US and have more questions you can always look at this website: www.studentsinla.com
I found it very helpful. Although it's mainly for students in Los Angeles, you might find some useful administrative info.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Thu Apr 06:04 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved