Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
20-Jun-2002 02:46 PM
  Plz Help
Kristie
Hi, i want to enter USA as a prospective student. i.e. on my arrival i will declare myself as a prpspoctive student. can anybody tell me, they will let me in, and if they do, then whats the min. time period they will give me in USA to. get admission and later apply for change of status. plz reply, anybody who knows somebody with familiar case. thanks in advance

20-Jun-2002 03:05 PM
 Re: Plz Help
not really?!!?
why don't you just apply to a school from where you are now, get accepted and just enter as a student?? its a lot less hassle. if you come with a B2 tourist visa, i think you now only have a month to stay as opposed to the 6 months it used to be. in that month, you would have to apply to a school, get accepted, provide proof of availability of funds then still wait 8-12 months for them to adjust status from B2 to F1. it makes no sense to do it this way. if you want to see the school before you commit and want to go through that, thats fine. if you want to avoid the hassle, you might just have to commit before seeing the school and just come over.

20-Jun-2002 03:32 PM
Kristie
yeah.. i know what u mean. but still, i want to see the college, meet with the faculty. so, thats why i want to be there on the tourist visa i already have. anyways, i was just wondering, if i tell them, that it will take me sometime to visit all the colleges, meet with the teachers and then apply, i think, they can give me stay for 3 months! once i have that time, i think i will be fine. and yeah...,. what u said8-12 months??? i was under the impression that INS is disposing all the applications in 30-45 days, after 12th april.

28-Jun-2002 04:38 AM
Serge
In case you are from a "respectable" country (Japan, Germany, Sweden...) and have proof of finances, just explain the situation to the consulate and it should be OK, actually it's better than entering on a B-2. Unless they've changed the rules recently.

Don't try it from Tadjikistan.

28-Jun-2002 02:25 PM
Drifter
"Respectable" country (Japan, Germany, Sweden...) ? Where did you get that from ?

29-Jun-2002 03:42 AM
Serge
From people who came here on prospective student B-2. Haven't met any of those from eastern europe for instance. Or Israel for that matter. Why, what's wrong with this?

I mean respectable from a state department employee point of view. Rich countries where consulates are not too suspicious of applicants.

[ This message was edited by: Serge on: 6-29-2002 03:37 ]

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 09:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved