Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
10-Aug-2000 06:16 PM
  naturalization(american citizenship)
digbeu yacouba
i've been in the u.s since my sophomore year in high school,with a F1 visa. i'm now an incoming senior in college. i would like to stay in the u.s and work. 6 years enough to demand the american citizenship? what should i do to gain the citizenship. i'm from Africa and we a lot of political trouble there. there is no peace there. please help me, what should i do and to whom should i talk to to help me start the process of naturaliuzation

10-Aug-2000 07:33 PM
 Re: naturalization(american citizenship)
Frank
Since you're in a non-immigrant visa catagory (F-1), your six years in the 'States doesn't really count toward anything. If you're graduating, however, you could apply for Optional Practical Training to get a one year work permit. During your year of work you would have to ask your employer to file an H-1B visa application for you. The H-1B is a "dual-intent" work visa for both immigrants and non-immigrants. The H-1B can be expended for up to six years, during which time you could apply for permanent residency status.

An alternative would be to apply for political asylum, though you'd have to establish that you would be in substantial danger if you were to return home (due to political or religious persecution taking place back home). If you were to go this route, the best place to start would be with an immigration attorney.

Be careful with you timing, though. Once you officially declare your intent to become an immigrant, you sacrefice the benefits of your F-1 non-immigrant visa. Since you're almost finished with school, it might be a good idea to apply for OPT and seek an H-1B visa instead.

Good luck with this.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 09:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved