Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
25-Sep-2000 11:09 PM
  F1 Student Marrying Permanent Resident....
av
Hello. I am an F1 student in the US on a valid F1 visa.
If I were to get married to a permanent resident
(green card holder) in the US, would that create any immigration
problems for either me or my spouse? Can my spouse file for my green
card after marriage? How long does this process take?

Thanks in advance

av

01-Oct-2000 02:51 AM
 Re: F1 Student Marrying Permanent Resident....
yu
You should get more expert advice than what you'll find here. My guess is that marriage will complicate your life immessureably, but that may have nothing to do with the visa issues.

03-Oct-2000 12:40 AM
24_chen
My understanding is that you can marry a PR and maintain your F-1 status but you may need to show that you did not get the F-1 visa with an intent to marry.

You will eventually get a green card but the waiting period is very long -- upwards of 5 years for those marrying a person with green card. No waiting for marrying an US citizen.

Once your F-1 visa is no longer valid, you would need to leave the country. It would be very difficult for you to return and see your wife / husband during the waiting period on a tourist visa. Since applying for a green card implies your intent to permanently reside in US, it would be very hard to obtain non-immigrant visas which are issued for those who intend to return to home country after short visit.

I believe that if you can get a work visa, you can stay in US but I think you should consult a lawyer as it is quite complicated.

I also believe nothing will happen to the green card holder.

Yes I also agree that marriae will complicate your life and it will have nothing to do with visas!

28-Oct-2000 04:50 PM
titi
hi!
I read your concern about you marrying a PR while you yourself are on a f1 visa and i am in the same situation only that i have the Green card and my soon to be spouse is planning on coming to the states with an f1 visa.I would much like to know how you are handling the case and if there is any better procedure to follow to get the green card for my spouse.
Thank you

28-Oct-2000 08:25 PM
bmozaffari
Hi.

AFAIK, all the answers you got were correct. I'd like to add a few points. A tourist visa would indeed conflict with your intent to immigrate as shown by your Green Card application. A work visa would cause no problem, as it is a "dual intent" visa.

The only thing worth adding is that you might get your GC sooner than 5 years, if your spouse completes his/her 5-year residency and becomes a citizen. S/he can then apply for you and get you Work Permit in a matter of maybe weeks, and the Green Card in a year or more.

Indeed, nothing would happen to the PR.

Babak

19-Dec-2000 02:49 AM
mac
it will complicate ur life beyond repair and it will have nothing to do with visa issues. hahahaha
just imagining this gives me ripples all throught my body . BEST of luck man , best of luck

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 01:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved