Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
16-Jun-2001 09:39 PM
  Very Important Questions 4 all...
1worried
Hi there,

Im a new student, just got an F-1 visa, and still in my home country. I've just heard like a million things from a million people. Here are some of the questions in my mind at this point:

What would happen to me if I never go to the college and start living as an illegal alien?
If I become illegal, loose status, or never show up at the college, can I never return to my home country again?
What are chances of getting caught by the service people as an illegal and getting deported?
If I become illegal, how and when can I obtain a green card?
Can a student, without any financial support, support himself while studying by doing jobs?
What would be the cost of living in shared apartments and food cost for one month in like NYC?
How easy is it to find an illegal job, what the usual sum you can earn?

please answer as many questions as you can, I know other ppl have very similar questions too...

1worried

17-Jun-2001 01:38 AM
 Re: Very Important Questions 4 all...
me
OK, here I go:

If you never show up at the college you got your I-20 from the student advisor will most likely report you to INS and you will be considered illegal. Note that your advisor doesn't report you you will be out of status and not illegal.

If you are illegal you can return to your home country but you will not be able to return to US for 3 or 10 years (depends how long you overstay), unless you change your passport and assume a different identity (which would be illegal I suppose).

Unless you live near the mexican border there's not that many chances of getting caught.

Once every several years there's an amnesty for illegal aliens or some other law that allows them to become legal. I can't promise you this will continue in the future. It can take MANY years, but so does F-1>H-1>Green Card process.

I know many students who pay for their school by working illegally but it is not easy. You have to work really hard and you need some luck, too.

As was discussed on this board if you are illegal you can get a reduced resident tuition from a public school, but for someone with an F-1 visa this could be hard to get.

The cheapest shared room in NYC (not Manhattan) is probably $400 a month and depends which country you are from ($200 would get you a bed in a room - it's the worst you can get). Normal price would be 600 and it's still considered cheap. Minimal food cost is about $5 a day.

Jobs depend on where you're from. You should be able to make $1000 a month at least. Some people make that much in a week illegally, but you'll need some talent for this. $400 a week is normal for full time. Bad jobs ($6 per hour) are easy to find.

Once again many things depend on where you're from, your skills and your standard of life.

And I don't take any responsibility for any of this...

Peace.

17-Jun-2001 06:05 AM
1worried
Thanks alot Mr. Me. Your really gave some very very good answers... Can you please provide some detail on this one:

A certain person I know came to the U.S. 5 years ago on an F-1 student
visa. He never went to the I-20 issuing college and starting working
illegally rightaway. Now his visa has expired and he's also never been
an "in-status" student. How can he return back to his homeland? Can he
just purchase a ticket, get on the plane and go back... what documents
does the returning journey require?

[It's for me, but I just modified things while posting at a possibly monitored forum.]

thanx again,
worried.

17-Jun-2001 05:48 PM
john
Yes, you just need to buy ticket and go back to your home country with no problems, Americans will be more than happy to let go illegal people. All what you need is Passport and I 94 (you get it from Immigration person in US -airport)
good luck

17-Jun-2001 07:17 PM
Just buy a ticket. I heard this from someone, never tried it myself: Lose your passport and I-94 and get a temporary lesse-passe from your country's embassy to confuse INS.

17-Jun-2001 07:25 PM
nobody
I've got an F-1 visa. Can I buy a one way only air ticket to the United States?
Does it create any problems when you land?

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 01:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved