Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
28-Jul-2000 05:02 AM
  Visa from a third country
Serge
Does anyone know what's the situation with getting an American student visa outside your home country (from a "third" country)?

We wrote that it's almost impossible but then I saw in some newsgroup somebody saying it depends on a country. Anybody knows any details?

For example a Ukranian guy is trying to get an American visa from Germany. Is there any chance at all?

Serge from F1Student.com.

29-Jul-2000 02:40 AM
 Re: Visa from a third country
Leslie
Germany? No way. They're really tough. It's usually very difficult to get a visa from a third country.

25-Jan-2001 12:39 AM
assumpta
I am an f1 visa holder and I am soo terrified of going to the ins office for reinstatement. What are the chances of being sent back home and how much time do they give you to return to your home country, even though that is not my option.

25-Jan-2001 04:02 AM
Could you describe your situation in more detail? How did you get out of status? What does your advisor say? Is your F-1 visa (that sticker in your passport) still valid?

26-Jan-2001 07:27 AM
bmozaffari
In reply to the original post from Serge:

Contraryto an immigrant visa (basically: Green Card), a nonimmigrant visa CAN legally be granted in any third country. A student visa is a nonimmigrant visa and is in principle no different from any other NIV (N I Visa) but the facts largely depend on the consulates. Consulates prefer to consider NIV applicants based on their country of residence (but not citizenship) because that would give them more information about their situation. An F-1 applicant would typically show job opportunities, belongnings and close family in home country, the consulate in his home country is more knowledgable and better able to confirm the authencity of such claims. Yet, if the applicant shows reasonable cause for being in a third country (the worst reason is to be there to apply for a visa), no reasonable consul will deny the application based on the location. For example, if someone will be working in a third country or otherwise residing there for a period of time and that period of time necessarily coincides with the application for a student visa (typically around 1 month after the school application deadline dates), the consulate should not demand that the applicant goes back home to apply for the visa. My experience has been that the attitude of the applicant as well as the person interviewing him are the main factors in deciding if it will work or not, documents in support of one's claim come secondary but they atleast give the applicant self-confidence to claim the right to be there.

I hope this helps, Babak.

27-Jan-2001 01:09 AM
Serge
Thanks for the information.

Do you know if certain consulates are more likely to issue visas in this situation than others? Are there any other reasons for applying from the 3d country that Consulates would accept? I understand working there is acceptable. Coming from a country that doesn't have diplomatic relationships with the USA is a good reason, too.

I'm asking this because there are many students from places like Russia or China that would rather not apply from their home country if they are already abroad.

By the way, we (F1Student.com) are trying to make people write their stories to "Word-of-mouth", so others can learn from their experience. We think it's a good idea, but it doesn't seem to work. Do you want us to publish your article?

Thanks.

[ This message was edited by: Serge on: 1-27-2001 01:54 ]

[ This message was edited by: Serge on: 1-27-2001 02:08 ]

27-Jan-2001 09:35 AM
bmozaffari
Dear Serge,

I really wouldn't know which consulates might be more reasonable in this respect, but in my personal experience, I've found that the one in Bern, Switzerland is very reasonable. I would definitely recomment them to any visa seekers!

About your Word-of-mouth section, I think it's a great idea, I just don't have any interesting stories to tell. If there's something I can do about it, tell me. But I strongly suggest that you go to the alt.visa.us newsgroup in Usenet (e.g., via deja.com) and advertise your site. You can give brief answer to some of the related questions posted them, and ask them to come here to get details about their issues. I've seen many people ask questions there, the answers to which would have been more readily available here.

Sincerely, Babak

28-Jan-2001 01:05 AM
Serge
We were doing this last summer, then we decided we are not ready for self-promotion. Our site is only half-built and all of us are busy with our schools and jobs.

We are not a business, so we don't try to advertise ourselves. We are telling people what we know and we want to encourage them to share their knowledge.

11-Feb-2001 10:21 PM
Bill
The other advantage of not self-promoting is that it is easier to fly under the radar, so to speak. People who seek you out will find you, but reporters, government people and other busybodies will not be so attracted. Not that this site is doing anything at all illegal, but some practical information to help students would also help the INS and State Department clamp down on ways to slip past the obsticals they put up.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 05:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved