Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
06-Nov-2000 11:57 PM
  expired f1 visa
Granodiorite
To whom it may concern:
Dear Sir / madam . I'm a graduate student majoring in geology.I hold an F1 -visa that has been expired since last July. My worse fear comes along when i think of going back to my country and the us embassy denies my application ( God knows why )!
I know , i'm still legal in this country but i'm afraid to get out . Please advise me for further steps !! Is it better to conduct INS in the states or go back to my country ????
Sincerely ,
Granodiorite!

07-Nov-2000 09:01 AM
 Re: expired f1 visa
Well, you don't have to leave merely because of an expired entry visa, but yes, the next time you leave the U.S. (except for trips to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands of 30 days or less), you'll have to apply for a new visa somewhere.

Talk to your int'l. student advisor about your options. That's the best person to help you next time you decide to leave. They'll have to sign your I-20 anyway, so be sure they know your entry visa is expired.

08-Nov-2000 09:33 PM
Serge
The previous answer is correct.

Unfortunately you can't get a new visa from the INS, you have to apply at a consulate abroad. It is usually easier then getting your first visa but you are not guaranteed to get it. Your student advisor may know if students from your country had problems reentering US in the past.

If you have reasons to believe that your visa application may be denied you can try applying for a new visa from a border post in Mexico or Canada. That way you will be able to return even if your application is denied. You'll need an appointment for this. For more info see:

http://travel.state.gov/tcn.html
http://www.nvars.com/

You can also contact the American Consulate in your country and ask them if they accept visa applications by mail. Some of them do - then you could just send it to them from the US.

12-Nov-2000 11:49 PM
Denny
Is it true that I can go to Canada with an expired visa (but valid I-20) and apply for a new visa, and even if I get turned down I can return to US?

Please confirm. Thank you!

Denny

13-Nov-2000 09:15 PM
As long as your passport and I-20 are valid, your I-20 is recently signed by the int'l. student advisor, and you have your I-94 card with you, then you can go to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands for 30 days or less with an expired F-1 visa and return without having the visa renewed. If you can get an appointment at a U.S. consulate to have the F-1 visa renewed, this would be a good time to do it.

06-Jan-2001 07:15 AM
andrei
Honestly this is confusing me...i thought once you graduate from your degree (on F1)...you become illegal (unless you applied for OPT)...so am I actually wrong ?

what is the date that determines the legality/or illegality of the status: is it the graduation date or is it the date on the i-20 ??!!!

For example someone who has a date on the I-20 of January 2003 but who has graduated already in january 2001....does such person become illegal now ? (if no application for OPT ?)

Thanks in advance guys for your answer

06-Jan-2001 02:53 PM
a person has 60 days from the "completion date" of studies to either apply for OPT, or apply for a change of visa classification (to H-1B, for instance), or obtain a new I-20 for a new course of study, or leave the U.S. Any extra time on the original I-20 is irrelevant once the person has completed their studies.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 11:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved