Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
08-Jul-2002 12:33 AM
  Change of Status
Edy
I am currently working in Pittsburgh on H1-B visa. My contract is coming to an end at the end of August. Is it possible to change my status to F1 and go back to school for my masters.

Also if I apply for change of status, do I have to wait for INS decision or can just start attending classes in fall.

Thank You
Edy

11-Jul-2002 08:17 PM
 Re: Change of Status
Dinky
You can apply for the COS after you are accepted in a university and once u have I-20. and i think u have to wait for INS approval, before you start ur classes.
best of luck!

24-Jul-2002 01:40 PM
 Re: Change of Status
Juno
Edy,
I am not quite sure why you want to revert to an F1 when most graduates hope to move from F1 to H1-B and from there to the Green Card. You are only a few steps away from never having to worry about keeping up with your status, and i can hardly understand why you want to go back to F1. FYI you can attend classes normally with an H1-B without having to switch to F1. If i were you, i will manage to get my contract extended or even transfer my H1 to another comany, and in that process negociate the green card step too. Move foreward and find a safty net. Most people outside of the US target the F1, but once you are in as F1, you need to look further and secure your stay (if that's what you eventually want to achieve). Of course, you might have other reasons that i don't know, but i though i will mention this to you.

Juno

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 05:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved