Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
20-Jul-2000 06:44 PM
  URGENT: Extension of B1/B2 visa status for my younger brother
allan_donald
Hi there and I sincerely hope you can help me out.

I am a graduate student (from India) in the US. My younger brother (14 years old) is here in the US(texas) on a B1/B2 tourist visa. his is a 5 year M Entry visa and the departure date on his I94 is 19th of september,2000. I want him to continue his studies over here. Admission to the high school is no problem, the only thing that worries me is how he can stay longer in the US without any illegal means. The following things concern me:

1. If I apply for an extension using INS Form I-539, will it be granted for sure?

2. suppose I get the extension for 6 months..but what after that? can i reapply?

3. I heard that people go to either canada or mexico for a few days and come back..is this method safe? is the re-entry to US assured?

please help me out and suggest any other alternatives I might deploy.

sincerely
-xyz

20-Jul-2000 11:59 PM
 Re: URGENT: Extension of B1/B2 visa status for my younger brother
Serge
Well, I only know some of the answers.

First, extending a B2 visa for another 6 months is a standard procedure for a lawyer. It shouldn't cost more than $200. If you do it yourself it's more risky (you'll need some official-looking proof of finances and a letter with an explanation, like you want to travel some more). If you use a lawyer it's about 90% success.

Going to Canada is an option, but it's more risky. I would say 50/50%, maybe less, because your brother is only 14 and has relatives in the USA. Depends on the INS clerk on the border. If you do this be sure to have a proof of finances to show on the border.

You can't reapply for the second time. I mean you can but they will deny. So don't count on that.

What I don't know is what are his chances to get an F-1. I've read that public high schools don't issue I-20 anymore. That means he has to find a private school. Also I don't know if 14 is old enough for a high school. Maybe he's better extend his B-2 until he can go to a high school and then get an F-1.

If anybody knows, please help. Just click on "Post Reply", you don't need to sign in or anything.

29-Jul-2000 06:44 PM
 Re: URGENT: Extension of B1/B2 visa status for my younger brother
June
Dont worry about being an illegal high shcool student, they cannot denied you admission because I have been an illegal student for 14yrs. Kindergarden through high school.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 11:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved