Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
10-Jul-2000 09:09 PM
  visa information (India)
NIKHIL
I HAVE GOT ADMIT IN UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON AT CLEAR LAKE FOR THE FALL SEMESTER IN
COMP SCIENCE.I AM INDIAN.I HAVE NOT YET GONE FOR INTERVIEW.MY SCORES ARE
GRE : 1660
TOEFL : 573
I WANT TO KNOW THE QNS ASKED BY US CONSULATE OFFICER.AND HOW I CAN CONVINCE THAT I
HAVE STRONG TIES TO INDIA.

10-Jul-2000 10:37 PM
 Re: visa information (India)
Webmaster
Hopefully someone has experience in dealing with the American authorities in India and can give us more information.

We can only give you some general suggestions:

1. A written job offer from your country helps, try to get one. A letter from your school to the consulate helps, too.

2. Suggest (a letter from school is good here too) that you want to study in the US because US has higher level of technology and this level of studies is unavailable in India. (They may ask you why you chose America, so be prepaired). Do not tell them you think of getting a job in America after school.

3. If your family owns a business or real estate (a house) - get some written proof of it.

4. Get a bank statement showing that your family has money in India. It's good if your sponsor is in India. Show that yor main source of finance is in India. It's better not to be your own sponsor even if you can.

5. Show a list of your family members (age, occupation etc.) that live in India and don't mention anyone living in the USA. If someone from your immediate family has been to America (especially as a student) and came back bring some proof of it (their passport).

Bring as many papers as you can. Don't ever let them suspect you might want to stay in America. Don't tell them you plan to get a working visa after studies.

16-Jul-2000 07:03 PM
Nikhil

You have mentioned in your mail about JOB APPOINTMENT LETTER.I have
talked to one of the software company and they are ready to give the
Appointment Letter .But theyare skeptical about the letter.They want me to
give the format .So Please send me of the summary of the letter.Do i have to
show the salary i will be drawing after completion of my
studies.

16-Jul-2000 07:05 PM
Webmaster
A copy of your e-mail and our reply (w/o personal details) were posted to our message board.

Unfortunately we do not have a sample letter so we can't give you the exact format.

There are no exact rules for writing the letter. Try to make it look as official as possible. Write it on a company paper (with their logo and address). It should have their stamp and signature. If it's not in English get an authorized translation.

The letter should state that they are interested in employing you after you complete your studies in the USA. It's good to indicate that the company's business is in your main area of study. They don't have to show the salary. In the letter (addressed "to whom it may concern")they should say something like "Any assistance you can give Mr. ... in acquiring a student visa will be appreciated".

It's important to provide them with accurate contact information ( "If you have any questions regarding this letter please contact ...), including a phone number.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 01:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved