Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
31-Jan-2001 07:19 AM
  Anybody know anything about visas from Ukraine?
Siegrid
Hi, I want to know if anybody knows anything about the specific situation for applying for an F1 visa as a Ukranian? I've heard that it is very hard. What are good ways to establish ties? Any advice I will be grateful for.

04-Feb-2001 04:27 PM
 Re: Anybody know anything about visas from Ukraine?
Serge
Yes, it is very difficult to get an F-1 visa from Russia and former republics, China and India - these are the countries the majority of foreign students come from. Even if you have all the proper documents the Consulate may deny your application.

To improve your chances you have to be sure to get all the right financial documents: a proof of finances (bank statement, affidavit of support and a letter from your sponsor) plus a proof of income of your sponsor. Proof of income means some documents showing where your sponsor got the money from.

The other thing you have to worry about is proving that you intend to return to Ukraine. The best document would be an official job offer from a company in your field of study, saying that they want you to get American education and will employ you upon your return. You have to try to collect as much evidence of "strong ties to your country" as you can. Letters from your family members and some evidence of your family being welthy may help. Bring letters from your parents jobs and so on.

Now, there are many Eastern European students who choose not to apply for an F-1 from their country, but rather come to the US on a different visa (B-2 or J-1) and change their status here. Here you won't have to demonstrate a proof of income (you still need a proof of finances) and usually you won't have to show strong ties to your country. In this case you have to act like you don't intend to study and change your plans several months after arriving to the US.

J-1 visas can be pretty much "purchased" from certain companies that send students on "cultural exchange" programs. You are allowed to work on J-1 and you can change your status to B-2 (tourist) or F-1 (student).

Best of luck.

10-Feb-2001 04:01 PM
 Re: Anybody know anything about visas from Ukraine?
Gerhard
I miss your explanation about open an account. Why there is an yellow triangel since a coupple of days?

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 05:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved