Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
06-Jun-2001 01:31 AM
  waiting for change of status -- help me
jass
i applied for change of status from b1/b2 visa to f1 student visa .i am still waiting for my change of status .i am taking a full time study load in an university in california.i want to know that can i change school still waiting for my change of status comes ?? plz , help me with thiz informatiom

09-Jun-2001 05:01 PM
 Re: waiting for change of status -- help me
john
Do you have I -20 from the school that you are in now?
If you do, I think it will not be a problem transferring to another school, you should call to school that you want to transfer and tell them your situation. You mentioned that you live in CA, if you file to San Francisco, it will take a very long time to get an answer from INS because their main office got closed and everything got transferred to SF international airport, it might take up to 4-8 month to hear from them.
so my best suggestion is that you call to the school you want to transfer, because some schools does not care much in what status you are and some schools are streaked about those kind of things.
Good Luck.

19-Jun-2001 06:40 AM
jass
thkz john for ur help. but can u explain all this
more clearly. i shall be thankfull to u .
bye
jass

20-Jun-2001 10:25 PM
Serge
What I could find so far is that there is no legal restriction on transferring schools while waiting for your change of status to be approved. You do not need a permission from INS for that. However, INS has to be notified about the transfer. Therefore, I was told, it is advisable to wait until your change of status is approved. The INS agent who will handle your case will see that you've transferred and may get suspicious about your motives.

I wasn't able to get a definite "yes" or "no" answer.

21-Jun-2001 05:08 PM
jass
thanku u serge ..for ur advice . i really appericiate
your help.
bye

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 11:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved