Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
23-Aug-2001 09:50 AM
  INS and the Social Security Administration
william worthington
Hi I am william. I came down to the United States last year on a student visa, its been pretty good. I can't go to school this semester, because I don't have the money and I plan to work illegally. I am allowed to work on campus, which I did over the last two semesters and made a pittance, about a $1000. However I didn't file my taxes last year. I want to work illegally and make money to go to school in the fall. Please tell me if the social security and the ins are linked to find out if a person is on a visa that allows him to work, this has left me baffled because they are soooooooo many jobs out there i could actually work on! Also, tell me if mine not paying taxes last term would affect me in any way, if it does can i contact the IRS and sort it out?

30-Aug-2001 11:47 PM
 Re: INS and the Social Security Administration
InTrouble
First of all, it is unfortunate that you don't have the financial resource to continue your study this semester.

Generally, if you don't enroll for 12 credit hours (nine for masters students), you fall out of status. it is very hard to get back to status. you will lose all the priviledges an F-1 student gets (i.e. on-campus jobs, TA/RAship, practical training).

If circumstances make you skip school and earn money to continue study, do it at your own risk. Illegal employment and felony are two things for which INS shows ZERO mercy. INS generally don't check if a certain person has done any illegal employment. So far these two agencies don't have the resource to do that, but, in near future, they will start doing so, I am afraid.

I am not sure about the effect of your not paying tax last year. You can contact IRS about that and i think sooner the better.

Good luck.

23-Sep-2001 05:13 AM
Serge
Depends what your plans are. If you plan to get a degree and leave the country chances are INS won't know a thing, and IRS won't have time to catch you.

If you plan to stay in the US INS is very likely to find out you've worked illegally at some point since your employer files taxes for you. They may deny you a working visa or a Green card if they find out.

If you are planning to stay you'll probably will have to pay IRS what you owe them eventually or face prosecution. I don't know the exact procedure for paying for the last year but i was told it's possible.

24-Sep-2001 05:39 PM
InTrouble
Yes, it was possible with a fee of $500-$1500. I would see great change in immigration matters after the Sept. 11 attack, however, and would really doubt what were there for granted are there any more or not.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 04:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved