Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
05-Nov-2000 06:01 PM
  help me!
ALITIS
I am an f1-visa holder(student)! i recently applied for social security number and as i know it will say on not allowed to work!! I found a very good job in Manhattan and they want social security and a photo ID as i know ,because i have to pay taxes!
What should i do???Do they really care if my social securiy is not allowed for work??

06-Nov-2000 08:35 PM
 Re: help me!
There are several things you have to consider:

It is illegal for you to work and for employers to hire you unless you have an EAD (employment authorization) from the INS.

More importantly, if you use your SSN for working illegally you will have problems in the future when you apply for an H-1 visa and/or a Green Card. INS may find out about your illegal job and deny your H-1 application. Another thing to be afraid of is that IRS will start sharing information with IRS, like they are planning to. Right now I don't think they do. If you plan to stay in America after school and work legally you should not use your SSN for an illegal job.

Now, if you decide to apply for that job anyway everything will depend on what your employer knows about hiring foreigners. Technically if they know you are an F-1 student they have to ask for your EAD and they are not supposed to hire you without it.

If they don't know you are a foreign student they may just ask you for an ID and give you a form to fill out. Sometimes you won't even have to show them your SSN card, you just write the number in the form.

Some employers are convinced that they can employ foreign students as long as they have a SSN. I think this is the reason you have "valid only with INS permit" stamped on it.

I would expect that most companies in Manhattan are familiar with the procedure for hiring foreigners. You can still try to apply. In the worst-case scenario you'll tell them you've already applied for an EAD and they will ask you to come back when you get it.

In any case don't forget to file taxes if you use your SSN to work or you'll get caught by the IRS.

Hope this helps.

10-Nov-2000 07:20 PM
alitis
well!!! let me know if it's better to use a fake social security? For $60 i can get one very easily!!
should i do that?? Or shouli i show them my real one and pay taxes with it!! In both cases actually i will pay taxes!!

10-Nov-2000 09:40 PM
If you use a fake number your employer may find out about it, but I think not untill they file their tax returns. You will also show them your real ID - leaving a clear record of breaking the law.

My advice is not to take the job. If you want to work illegally without consequences your employer has to know how to employ people off-the-books.

I'm not an expert in this area, it's just common sence. Many people were able to get away with using their SSN for working illegally and paying taxes in the past. I still think it doesn't worth the risk.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 03:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved