Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
11-Dec-2000 02:38 PM
  F1->F2B several questions...
bmozaffari
Hello everyone,

I am a student in F-1 status, and my mother has been a Green Card holder for a year and a half. I'm single, so I can apply for a GC and enter the F2B waiting list. I know it is to my benefit to do so 1.5 years later, as my priority date would then be current by the time my mother is a citizen. But I have several other points to consider, which I would like more comments on. If I apply for a GC right now, and enter the F2B waiting list:

1- How will it affect my ability to make <30 day trips to Canada and Mexico, or travel to other countries and get a new student visa to come back in(my visa isn't valid anymore)?

2- Is it true that under California law, after 6 months in line for GC (though it takes 6 years for my case to be current in that catagory), I will be considered a state resident and would pay resident fees as far as school is concerned?

3- Is it true that for the above reason and circumstances, I will be able to apply for an employment authorization (it doesn't make sense to me, it's just something I heard)?

4- What else can you suggest? What are other pros and cons of applying for a Green Card at this stage?

Thank you in advance, Babak

--
Babak Mozaffari

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 01:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved