Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
13-Dec-2000 05:56 PM
  Changing major
Babak Mozaffari
Hi everyone. I didn't get a reply to my last post, but that's ok, I think the answer is no on all counts, anyway.

I came here to the US with an F-1 visa and an I-20 as a graduate Civil Eng. student. I now want to study computer science, and the department tell me that I'd have to apply for the next Fall as far as that is concerned. So I'm stuck with Civil Eng. this semester, but I don't want to be wasting time and money on something I'm not planning to persue, so:

If I stay a Civil Eng. student, but take 9 units in Computer Science, will anybody object? Will my student status be in danger? Will it be a problem that I am enrolled full-time, but not progressing toward my degree this semester? So can I take the computer science units?

Will I need to take 12 units instead of 9, since although I'm a graduate student, the units I plan to take are all undergraduate units.

Please help the best you can, I'm confused.

Sincerely, Babak

14-Dec-2000 12:26 PM
 Re: Changing major
Bob
This doesn't sound like a problem to me, but you should talk with your int'l. student advisor. I'd think that as long as you got a new I-20 reflecting your new major before evenually applying for OPT, then you'd be fine. It would probably be wise to do this relatively soon, though I doubt anyone at INS is knitpicking when you changed your major, as long as there's consistency between the major in item #5 on your I-20 and that which is claimed in your OPT endorsement on page 4.

24-May-2001 11:11 PM
sulzer
Hi,
I am in your exact position and sadly I have gone out of status due to this.
Please check up with your Int St advisor before you do this.

25-May-2001 06:05 AM
dgazena
as long as your I-20 and visa are current, you may change your major to basket weaving if you want.

an INS guy

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 05:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved