Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
21-Jun-2001 06:29 PM
  changing status from B2 to F1
katy
let me say for starters that this is a great website. anyway... i want to get F1 but don't have enough ties to my home country to get visa there (i'm english). so am in the US right now on B1/B2 and want to change status with the INS. how easy is this? is it common to be turned down? also - if i get it can i leave the states and come back without probs?? thanks in advance for the answers...

22-Jun-2001 04:19 AM
 Re: changing status from B2 to F1
Serge
First of all are you sure you are on B-2? It is common for Europeans to come here with a visa waiver. A visa is a sticker in your passport with your picture on it. If you have it it is usually easy to get your status changed to F-1. You won't have to prove ties to your home country, just demonstrate your ability to finance your studies. It is possible to be turned down, but not very common. This year it takes a very long time, too.

In case you do not have an actual visa it is usually not a problem for Brits to get an F-1 from their country. Americans are not suspicious of you guys. You'll need a proof of finances mostly. The ties to England are easy to demonstrate. I'm not European so I can't promise you.

If you change your status to F-1 and travel abroad you would still have to apply for a new visa from your home country or from Canada or Mexico border post. It's how American bureaucracy works... It's a bit easier than getting the initial F-1, i believe.

28-Jun-2001 10:38 PM
katy
thanks for the reply, serge. yes, i talked to the student advisor at the community college and she believes i probably don't have enough ties to england to make getting the F1 there totally possible (i am 30 years old and haven't lived in england for about 13 years, so no ties really). she advised me to try to change to F1 here. by the way, i do definitely have B2 visa. i am bit concerned cos i was in the states last year for 6 months then applied to INS for 6 months extension on my B2 visa. will that make them suspicious? i think they don't know when i finally left though, cos i had lost my I-94 card and no-one checked anything... anyway i am rambling... why is it easier to get F1 from home country after changing status then travelling home than applying for it in the first place from the home country??

01-Jul-2001 02:02 PM
Serge
I've changed from B2 to F1 3 years ago. My B2 status (extended for half a year) was running out in 2 weeks. I didn't have any problems then.

I think when you already were a student in the US and returned to your country the consulate is somewhat less suspicious of you. But I'm not sure it would apply in your case since you've been out of England for that long.

If you get the F-1 status there's also an option to apply for a visa from a "border post" in Canada or Mexico. If you get it you can travel with it. If not you will usually still be allowed to return to the US.

06-Jul-2001 06:18 PM
katy
thanks for the reply serge. how does the getting a visa from a canadian or mexican border post work?

09-Jul-2001 03:29 AM
Serge
In an F-1 status you are allowed to travel to Canada or Mexico for up to 30 days even if your American visa has expired. You need a valid I-20 signed on the back by your advisor, an I-94 card valid for "D/S" and a valid passport with an expired visa.

While there you can apply for a new visa from a "border post" - there are like 5 in Canada and 1 in Mexico. You need to get an appointment in advance. Here's their info:

http://www.nvars.com/
http://travel.state.gov/tcn.html

Prepare all the documents that will convince them that you are a bone fide student and intend to return to your home country - finances, transcripts etc.

Most, but not all, INS agents would allow you to reenter even if your visa application is denied. In some cases your application may get complicated by additional interviews and requests for additional documents.

Hope this helps.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 07:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved