Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
25-Feb-2001 10:07 PM
  getting USA visa in Canada
cat
I am from russia. My visa expired 1 month ago, i want to go visit russia but i am afraid to go to american embassy in russia, too much risk. i thought to go to canada for a week and then go to american embassy in canada and i ask them for visa to return to USA to continue studying. Russia and US are enemies now, what are my chances to get visa in Canada? is there any other way to get visa with less risk?

thanks alot

28-Feb-2001 12:30 PM
 Re: getting USA visa in Canada
Svetlana
Here's a link that may be of help:
http://www.nvars.com/welcome.htm

By the way, "rivals" would be a better term than "enemies."

01-Mar-2001 12:47 AM
Serge
Yes, this and also
http://travel.state.gov/tcn.html

There are only few border posts where you can apply. I'm not sure you have a much better chance to get a visa than from Russia. What is different is that you will most likely be able to return to the USA. I can't guarantee you that, although my advisor sais she's absolutely sure. It makes sense - you are allowed to trval to Canada for up to 30 days with an expired visa.

If you go there be prepared like you were going to an Embassy in Moscow. Proof of finances, letter from school with contact details, certificate of attendance, letters from your parents etc. You are NOT planning to work and don't mention OPT or H-1B.

Actually I wanted to do it myself but I can't afford a trip to Canada.

[ This message was edited by: Serge on: 3-1-2001 01:34 ]

02-Mar-2001 10:53 PM
Don't forget to let your advisor sign your I-20 on the back to authorize it for travel.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 03:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved