Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
25-Aug-2000 08:20 PM
  What is the best to do?
zaozaoz
I have a B-2 visa valid for ten years and I intend to study computer science in States. Now there are two choices for me to choose: 1. Go to apply F-1 with a College's I-20 before I leave my country; 2. Go to USA with my B-2 visa first, then find a school couple months after and try to change visa from B-2 to F-1.

The questions are:
a. As I know of, student visa is the most difficult one non-immigration visa to get. An immigration lawyer even told me that One can not hold more than 1 non-immigration visa to USA, meaning if you have a B2 already, USA will not grant you F1. Is that true? Does it worth to make a try still?

b. If I try to apply F-1 anyway and get rejected, will they take back my B-2 visa since they already notice that I intend to study in USA?

c. Even if not, will it diminish my chance to change B-2 to F-1 later after arrival?

Please tell me what is the best to do.

28-Aug-2000 02:00 PM
 Re: What is the best to do?
a. This is generally not true, though I suppose it depends on how badly someone presents themselves at their interview. If you end up arguing with the consular official, expect the worst.

b. Same answer as above.

c. It shouldn't.

31-Aug-2000 04:34 AM
 Re: What is the best to do?
Serge

It really depends which country you come from.

As you could see from "rickmichigan" message on this board the Consulate can take away your B-2 as a precaution if you apply for an F-1.

If you apply from a country from which it is generally difficult to get an American visa you have to present a well-documented evidence of strong ties to your country and of your finances, including source of income. If you think you do not have sufficient evidence you probably have a better chance changing your status from B-2. INS is much less strict then Consulates.

If it's not a problem to get an American visa from your country it's better to follow the regular procedure and get an F-1 from where you live. Still, you have to be prepared to prove your non-immigrant intent. If you want to leave yourself some choice you can get accepted to several schools and apply for a "prospective student" B-2.

In any case you are not guaranteed to get a student status, unfortunately.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 07:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved