Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
11-Jun-2001 02:12 AM
  I-539
B.MErmaiD
If I myself get an I-20 from school (ESL)in CA,should I send I-539,I-20,I-94 etc to the INS ? Otherwise ISA will do it for me? and how long does it take to get student in status??
I am going to CA next Wed. pls reply me ASAP~~~~

11-Jun-2001 04:14 AM
 Re: I-539
john
i could not quite understand what are you asking. Are you out of status? why do you need to file to INS? are you in english program or college?

14-Jun-2001 12:49 AM
Serge
Are you talking about change of status from B-2 to F-1? Do you mean you want to go to an ESL school and get an I-20 from them?

Most ESL schools would send all the paperwork to INS for you. There are some exceptions, but even if you have to send the paper yourself it's not too complicated. The school should at least give you the address of the INS office.

In case you have to send your papers yourself: Send your document with registered mail (so you have a receipt) and attach a personal letter explayning why you changed your plans and decided to become a student. INS shouldn't suspect you came to US with an intention to study.

It may take a very long time for the INS to approve your change of status. Some students have to wait for a year or so. While you wait for the INS reply you are considered in status.

17-Jun-2001 10:36 PM
B.MermaiD
THanx a lot for comments..
I've arrived in CA on June.13 and been staying here..
I'm supposed to apply ELS on Aug.10 or more(cos dead-line is on Aug.13)..
Then I myself don't need to send some documents to INS ?if ISA send all paperworks to INS for me, how long would it take ????
let me know ASAP....

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 01:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved