Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
14-Aug-2000 08:59 PM
  Urgent need
zaozaoz
Who can help me to find a college(major in computer science,no matter 2-years or 4-years) which will send me a I-20 by October without being strict on TOEFL and transcripts? I have to leave my residence country by November and not coming back which means I have to obtain my student visa by then. If not, is there any college which will allow me attend with B-2 visa and help me changed to F-1 easily? I want a straight answer desperately!!!

15-Aug-2000 12:34 AM
 Re: Urgent need
Frank
Most schools won't have a problem in helping you with an application for a change of visa classification from B-2 to F-1. I can't speak to their other requirements though (TOEFL, transfer credits, etc.)

But when you go to the U.S. consulate, and especially if you start out applying for an F-1 visa, they'll want you to convince them (somehow) that you plan to return home after you complete your studies. (This is because F-1 is a non-immigrant visa catagory.)

Or if you apply for B-2 tourist visa, don't be talking with them about going to school, unless the whole point of your trip is to tour around visiting schools that you might want to go to later.

There are a lot of good computer programs out there. Do a word search and get a list together to start going through. Drop an e-mail to their respective admissions contacts. They could each probably answer a lot of the questions you'll have.

15-Aug-2000 01:32 AM
alex
If you want to go to a real college (even community)
you probably won't make it till October. And if you
contact them from your country and come to
America as tourist and try to get change of status
you may have problems with INS thinking you lied
to them. What's the rush?

24-Aug-2000 12:21 AM
Susan Rosa
Hi! I just thought I would let you know that our university has an excellent computer science program. Without knowing your TOEFL score it is hard to determine just when you could start. What we do is, based on your score, either enter you directly in a degree program or, if your score is too low, we can enter you into our ESL program and then move you into a degree program.
Our next ESL program begins in October, so if you applied quickly you may be able to get everything done in time.
You can apply just to the ESL program as well, and study for as little as seven weeks, depending on what your English needs are.
Check out our website at www.ashland.edu (go to the international students area).

Good Luck!
Susan Rosa
International Programs Assistant
Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio 44805
srosa@ashland.edu

25-Aug-2000 01:23 PM
guede
hi ,im an high school student in ivory coast .
im want come in the state for a year as an exchange student for a year to get my english better
but i dont have any contact .if you could help i'll very appreaciate .
thank you very much

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 09:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved