Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
30-Jul-2001 12:40 PM
  Please explain?
jinx
Hi, I am on a cultural Visa (Q1) for Disney World... I want to change my status to F1 for a school in Missouri, I end my contract in February next year, so (1.) When should I aproach the school and apply ?
(2.) What happens when after changing my status ,I need to go home to my country for say, an emergency , what will my passport indicate as a visa for me to get entry back in the country?? Do they put another Visa in the passport?
Thanks.

30-Jul-2001 02:14 PM
 Re: Please explain?
Serge
1. Do not approach the school until 3 months after
coming to the US if possible. If the school is a
college you may have to apply earlier. Try applying
as late as you can but careful not to miss the
admission deadline and make sure you get an
I-20 from them and send it to INS before your Q1
visa expires.

2. Unfortunately you won't get a visa in your
passport. If you leave the country you'll have to
apply for a new visa either from your home country
or from a so-called "border post" in Canada or
Mexico. American embassies in certain countries
(Japan) allow you to apply for a new visa by mail
even from abroad - but it's not very common.

What you get from INS is an authorized I-20 (a form
that your school gives you) and a new I-94 (same
piece of paper as you get in the airport) valid for
"duration of status" - as long as you are a full-time
student.

30-Jul-2001 10:34 PM
jinx
Thank you Serge! So basically I cannot leave the country if I am a student ? Surely I will struggle to get a visa once I leave, what happens ? do I in case of an emergency have to go home and apply for a different Visa??

Thank you

31-Jul-2001 01:29 AM
Serge
Depends which country you're from. If you are from a wealthy country you shouldn't have any problems. If you are from someplace else you should think twice before leaving the US. It's a little bit easier to get a student visa from your country if you already have studied in the US, i think.

Actually if you apply for a new visa from a border post in Canada/Mexico and don't get it you still have a good chance to get back in (you don't need an American visa to travel there for up to 30 days).

Personally i'm kind of stuck in the US since i think i wouldn't be able to prove any strong ties to my country, but most of my friends are able to come and go as they like. I guess it's not a right place to mention it but i couldn't attend funerals of two of my grandparents because of my visa situation.

Never mind...

31-Jul-2001 04:01 AM
jinx
Thanks a lot ,funny but I am also sort of nervous about having family problems which I might not be able to attend, but if that is the way it has to be ,I guess it will be my choice. I am from South Africa and they sure as hell don't want any of us in the country, one last thing though ...how long does one have to be legally in the country in order to obtain residency and citizenship...what are the requirements? Is it a viable idea to apply for the green card lottery for the fun of it ?

Thanks again

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 07:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved