Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
25-Mar-2002 10:11 PM
  Optional Practical Training (OPT) expires
OPT
Does anyone know how long I can stay in the US after the OPT expires? Do I need to leave the country right away?

01-Apr-2002 01:57 AM
 Re: Optional Practical Training (OPT) expires
lo scrivano
I have the same problem. I am dead sure that you have 60 days to stay in the country after your OPT expires, irrespective of your VISA status. But, here's the catch....and what I need clarification on. I think those 60 days are a sum of the days you used BEFORE AND AFTER your OPT. So, if you took 20 days to find a job and then started working on your OPT, you have only 60 days to stay. I will check with my lawyer and confirm. But, if anyone else knows, please advise us.

04-May-2002 12:36 AM
Fer
U are supposed to leave the country within 60 days after your OPT expire. However, you can RE-ACTIVATE your F-1 status by enrolling in another school or program if you do not plan to leave USA.

06-Jun-2002 04:31 AM
Daisy
would it be a problem if a student did not leave the country after his OPT expired? and if his F1 status does get re-activated/reinstated, will he be able to get another OPT from the second school??

06-Jun-2002 06:09 AM
Drifter
If you can successfully re-activate your F-1status, You CAN receive another OPT after graduating from the new school.

18-Jun-2002 12:52 PM
Brian
This is another tricky one. The law is unclear about your total length of time on and after OPT. But the INS clearly interprets that you have a total of 14 months after you graduate to complete your OPT and leave the US.

So, if you waited 60 days after you graduated to file your OPT and got a full 12 months of OPT the INS expects you to be gone the day your OPT expires.

Do they track this? Not yet. We're unsure if SEVIS will be able to track it.

Good luck.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 10:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved