Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
20-Jan-2001 04:54 AM
  Staying In Status
Christine
Is it the student's responsibility to show that you have been ins status, or would the INS know? I'm going to Canada and one of the conditions of returning that you've been in status...do I need to bring all my paperwork or would the person at the border tell by looking at my passport and lastest (current) I-20?

Thank you,

Christine

20-Jan-2001 05:19 AM
 Re: Staying In Status
Serge
If you are in status you need a valid passport with your visa (it's OK if the visa is expired) and your last I-20 signed on the back by your intnl. student advisor. It has to be signed in the last 5 months. If you are out of status your advisor is not going to sign the I-20, obviously. You also have to have your I-94 but you will submit it to them when you leave the US, I think. Normally that's all you need.

You may want to bring your first I-20 just in case, but don't show it unless they ask.

If you really don't want to take any chances you can have some proof of finances with you, but usually you won't need it.

21-Jan-2001 04:20 AM
 Re: Staying In Status
Christine
Serge thanks for the information. It's very useful.

I guess I was also wondering if INS keeps a record of my continious "in status" status. Most recent I-20, signed, is of course a proof that I am in status now, but isn't is also necessary for to have been "in status" since the time I've arrived in US?

Said differently, is it my duty to show that I've been in status -- continuously -- since I arrived in US?

Does this make sense? Thanks for your insights!

Christine

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 09:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved