Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
29-Sep-2001 07:51 PM
  How Can I get F-1?
cenkomenko
Hello. I am in the USA. I've J-1 until October,18.
I wanna get a F-1 through any language school. What must I do now? first, where will I apply, how long time it will take etc.
And I lost my passport, now I'm waiting for a new passport. Do I need passport for I-20?
Please quick.. thanks

04-Oct-2001 05:29 PM
 Re: How Can I get F-1?
Serge
Find a cheap language (ESL) school and they will most likely do it for you. You'll need a proof of finances from you or your sponsor and an affidavit of support from the sponsor. We're talking about $15,000 and up for proof of finances.

You'll need a passport or at least a copy and the old I-94 (I-94 is usually stapled to your passport so I assume you don't have it). You could get a replacement I-94 from INS but I think your time is running out. You have to apply for a change of status before you J-1 expires. Maybe you can apply for a replacement I-94 and change of status at the same time - I don't know.

Change of status takes many months these days but as long as your application is pending you are allowed to stay in the US.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 03:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved