Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
20-Jan-2001 06:33 AM
  look like a transfer.....2
ahmed
i thank all the people who replied to my request, i just want to add that the int student advisor signed my I-20 and she dropped my classes because i told her that i have personal problems and i had to go back to my country , in this case, am i still in status?
thank you in forward

20-Jan-2001 06:41 AM
 Re: look like a transfer.....2
ahmed
SORRY, I FORGOT TO ADD THAT SHE TOLD ME THAT I CAN COME BACK FOR THE SUMMER SESSION IF I WANT

20-Jan-2001 08:27 AM
 Re: look like a transfer.....2
You are in a very difficult situation. If INS learns about it you're dead. "Out of status" is not a word for it.

I've met a student once who told her advisor she was going abroad but actually stayed here and went back to school after several months. Nobody noticed anything. It worked because her advisor did not check the stamp in her passport and her new I-94. In our school they definitely check it, I don't know about yours.

If you want to get back in status you could try to do it. Pretend you've actually went abroad and come back for the summer semester. If your advisor realizes you are lying she can report you to the INS. It's illegal as hell. If she doesn't catch you - you are in status.

The other alternative (legal) would be going abroad and coming back with a new I-20, from a new school, and your old F-1 visa if it's still valid. That's probably what I would advise.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 09:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved