Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
21-Jul-2001 10:46 AM
  How does colleges and universities go abot the academic credentials?
Mustapha Tariq
Hi guys,
Im new to this site and i think you guys are doing great. I want to know if any of you have any ideas about how US college and universities go about the application and evaluating academic credentials. Do they consult your previous schools in your home country for further enquiries or they go straight ahead and evaluate them. Thank you.

Tariq,
Malaysia

22-Jul-2001 05:53 PM
 Re: How does colleges and universities go abot the academic credentials?
Introuble
They consult.

23-Jul-2001 06:12 PM
Serge
Depends on a school.

Some of them require your credentials
("transcript") mailed to them directly from your old
school. Some would let you bring them in a sealed
envelope stamped by your school. Probably most
schools won't accept copies, even notorized. I think
most schools won't actually contact your old school
directly.

To evaluate your credentials they may or may not
use a commercial credentials evaluation service.

24-Jul-2001 12:43 AM
mustapha
Thank you SERGE but can you please explain the term COMMERCIAL CREDENTIAL EVALUATION to my understanding? thank you.

Mustapha Tariq

24-Jul-2001 06:18 PM
InTrouble
Commercial credential evaluation is basically a 3rd party that will evaluate your transcripts for the school u are trying to get in.

Many schools now a days require that your transcripts be evaluated by that third party before even applying for the school.

25-Jul-2001 10:50 PM
Serge
Yeah, it's a company you pay from $100 to $400 to "evaluate" yor education. Basically they find an American equivalent to your education. Here's some more info:

http://edupass.com/admissions/evaluation.phtml

26-Jul-2001 12:05 AM
jordan
Basically the US schools needs your credentials to be able to determine if you have finished high school or college in your country. Most colleges require your school in your country to send your credentials directly to them. Once they've accepted you, you can have your credentials evalutated at a Foreign Credential Evalutation Agency if you want your subjects from your home country to be credited. Actually my school "forgot" to tell me that i can have my courses from my home country credited! hello!!! I bet they just wanna have my money! It is YOU who will send all the papers needed for the evaluation NOT the school. I had mine evaluated at the World Education Services, Inc. and it cost me around $130 (including the shipping) for a Cource by Course Report. All they need is a photocopy of your credentials and diploma and wait for 2 weeks. You can visit their site at http://www.wes.org/splash.html... i saved a couple of thousand bucks at a lot of time coz some of my subjects were credited
Credential evaluation means converting foreign academic credentials into their U.S. or Canadian educational equivalents. Foreign Credential Agencies produce an individualized, written report describing each certificate, diploma or degree you have earned and specifying its U.S. or Canadian equivalent.

What can an evaluation do for me?
By converting your educational qualifications into their U.S. or Canadian equivalents, the evaluation allows academic institutions or employers in the U.S. or Canada to understand them. It also gives you an indication of what to expect when you present your educational credentials for study or employment in the U.S. or Canada

27-Jul-2001 06:19 PM
M. Tariq
Thanks. So does every college require a credential evaluation before admitting students?

27-Jul-2001 07:31 PM
jordan
In my case NO, i just showed them my transcripts and they accepted me. For formality's sake they requested that i should have my school sent to them my official transcripts.

I suggest that you immediately send out your
transcripts to a Credential Evaluation Agency after you are accepted. Like I said the school will not do this for you, YOU have to mail it yourself.
After a week or so, the credentialing Agency will send their evaluation TO your college (you will also be given a copy)and then YOUR college will evaluate what courses are credited.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Wed May 10:05 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved