Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
15-Nov-2000 04:41 AM
  Need advice !!!!!!!!!!
June
I'm planing to apply for master degree in US but still not decide which university I'd like to attend. I'm going to US on March with B1 visa to visit the school and then apply for the program in which I'm sure that I'll be accepted to the program for Fall semester 2001. The problem is that I don't want to go back home in Thailand to change my visa to F1,
Can I change the visa from B1 to F1 inside the US?
and who or wher I should contact?
Do I need to bring financial statement from my bank to US to show to INS as I apply to F1 visa?
With B1 visa, if I buy a one way ticket, will I have aploblem with the immigration at US broder?
Thank you for all your advices.

15-Nov-2000 05:07 PM
 Re: Need advice !!!!!!!!!!
Come on a B-2 tourist visa, not a B-1 business visa.

Once you're accepted at a school, talk with the int'l. student advisor there about applying for a change of visa classification to F-1.

You'll need proof of financial resources for one academic year; this can include any scholarships or projected funding from an assistantship you may have by then.

The change of visa classification won't put an F-1 visa in your passport, so the next time you leave the U.S., you'd have to apply for the new visa then. (You don't have to leave, but the next time you choose to, take care of it then.)

The change of visa classification is usually a long wait (several months), but as long as you apply before your I-94 expires, you're okay.

Don't work your assistantship until you get confirmation of your change of status.

Good luck.

15-Nov-2000 11:30 PM
Ask the school how much money your bank statement has to show. Get the statement as late as you can or let your parents send it to you when you are in the US (it has to be not older then 6 months when you apply for a change of status).

Don't apply for a change of status and even don't start your school too soon - wait 3 or 4 months.

When you apply for B-2 don't mention you are planning to study. I don't know for sure but I think it may be difficult to get a "prospective student" B-2 from Thailand. Buy a 2-way ticket that you can return.

18-Jul-2005 03:42 AM
priya
Community member
Home Coutry:
hi
Here's a link that may be of help

http://www.f1study.com

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Tue Apr 12:04 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved