Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
09-Feb-2001 03:20 AM
  Illegal for 5 years and in need of desperate help
Hi, my mom came here in 1981, and she got a social secuirity because she was an f-1 student. In 1984, she left the country to Pakistan, and I was born there. Then we moved to Sweden for a few years. And then we decided to come to the US in 1996 under a visit for 6 months. My dad obtained a social secuirity because he wished to drive. So he got a social secuirity number which was stamped for not eligible to work. My dad and my mom currently work as contractors. I am currently a 16 year old junior with no social secuirity number. And I wish to drive, and work, and do what all my friends do. And I also wish to go to college. I know that in 1986 a reform act was passed that said that any person living before 1982 may apply for legal residence, but my mom was not currently here in 1986. And now in 2000, they made this act again which allows people living before 1982 legal. PLEASE help me, what can I do? Should I tell my mom to contact a laywer and start this 1986 procedure, or should I just go to a bank and ask for a social secuirity number like my father? Thanks.

09-Feb-2001 11:57 AM
 Re: Illegal for 5 years and in need of desperate help
Scott
Your father wouldn't have gotten a social security number from a bank, though many banks use the ss# for their tracking purposes (they're not supposed to, but they do).

You could go to the Social Security Administration in your area and apply for a ss# on the same basis as your father. The comment about ineligibility to work only means that the ss card itself is not the basis for one's employment eligibility. You (or he) would need a work permit from INS in order to work legally.

The ss# should also not be used by the dept. of motor vehicles to assess eligibility for a drivers license. Again, they wrongly do this. Unfortunately it'll take a court case to call their attention to the misapplication of ss numbers for purposes it was never intended.

Sorry this doesn't really solve your problem. You may want to talk with a lawyer about your options.

09-Feb-2001 04:44 PM
bmozaffari
Dear Guest!

Your father and mother got their social security number because they were legal. You are not legal and won't be able to get a SSN, driver's license or bank account. That's what I know. About the law that for people before 1982, I do think you need to talk to an attorney or post to alt.visa.us

Babak

09-Feb-2001 09:57 PM
Actually, in some states you will be able to get a driving license. Check with the DMV in your state and in neighboring states. In some states you'll get a driving license (or an ID) with just your foreign passport (they don't care about the visa) plus maybe a proof of address. A college ID would help,too. Florida was pretty easy to get a DL from when I lived there couple of years ago as a B-2 tourist.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 05:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved