Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
09-Apr-2002 12:05 AM
  Important news
Frank
New INS Restrictions for Students
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16080-2002Apr8.html

09-Apr-2002 12:39 AM
 Re: Important news
Upenyumakoni
I read the Washingon Post article online, but I'm not too sure about what it means. I'm in the States on a B1 visa and want to know if I can change my status to F1 without going back to my home country.

09-Apr-2002 01:49 AM
 Re: Important news
Frank
You can apply for a change of visa classification from within the U.S., but you'll have to get yourself accepted at a school relatively soon. I'm sure your current B1 will remain valid for the period of time indicated on your I-94, but it sounds like they'll be scrutinizing the applications somewhat closely (and issuing new B1/B2 visas for only 30 days)

A change of visa classification (to F-1, for instance) does not place an F-1 visa in your passport. The next time you decide to travel outside the U.S. you'd still have to go through the process of applying for the visa to get back. A change of classification will put you into F-1 status so that you can be "in-status" while attending school, but in won't give you that entry visa. (You don't have to leave, but if you do and want to come back as an F-1, then you'd have to deal with the consulate.)

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 08:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved