Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
31-Oct-2000 02:10 AM
  college , illegaly?
milli
what are the states, where an "illegal alien" is able to go to college, either community or private. Which states don't give a hard time with the applications that is..... i heard california is not that strict with it. how about NY?

any tips???

31-Oct-2000 10:16 AM
 Re: college , illegaly?
Bob
The state doesn't have much to do with it. No school should be able to block your attendance based on your visa status, though some schools have advisors who don't know the rules very well and will try.

As long as you meet the academic criteria for the school, you should stand as good a chance as the next person in gaining admittance. Their admissions decisions should not be made in reference to any visa-related concerns. The visa issues come up after you're admitted and they issue an I-20 for you. If you choose to remain out of status, that's your business, though there are some consequences to that route that you should consider (the unlikelihood of ever becoming a permanent resident, for instance).

But if you're only here temporarily and just for the education, that's your choice. The school or state shouldn't be able to stop your attendance, and INS is not currently in the habit of rounding up illegal students.

01-Nov-2000 10:10 PM
Serge
I asked La Guardia Community College (Queens, NY)couple of years ago an they said they accept illegals.

Although schools are not allowed to discriminate against illegal aliens, many schools will find an excuse not to accept you. For example if a program requires a curricular practical training they don't want to be in a situation when they have to find a job for someone not allowed to work.

In any case you will not be considered an international student.

Does anyone know how credit evaluation will be handled in this situation?

[ This message was edited by: Serge on: 11-1-2000 23:09 ]

01-Nov-2000 11:19 PM
Brian
To add to the other comments, on most community college and state school applications, you'll need to say that you are a resident of the US. Most admissions offices won't make you prove it. Just don't try to apply for financial aid or you will be found out.

The real question is: Why study illegally at all? If you're already on another non-immigrant visa (except for M-1), switch visas to an M-1. By doing anything illegally, you're making it harder on yourself if you want to immigrate in the future.

02-Nov-2000 03:51 PM
Bob
I thought you might be interested in this news from Georgia. Other states may need to clarify this policy as well:

Congratulations to the Board of Regents for finally verifying that the admission of qualified applicants who happen to be illegally in the U.S. is okay. Not only does it speak for a sane admissions policy, but it also speaks for system schools implementing ethical standards in their admissions policy. A big congratulations. And read all about in this morning's Atlanta Journal Constitution. Does this mean I do not have to go through my speech again at upcoming GAIE conferences...at least for system institutions?

Now for the private schools....

Jennifer Lund, I strongly suspect, should be given the credit forpursuing this.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 03:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved