Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
22-Mar-2002 12:54 AM
  f1 status mix-up. Help me write to INS.
jerrywest
I had an H-1 upto spring 1997 when I was laid off. Right away I applied and got grad school I-20s from 2 schools. The first school helped me do a status adjustments and send the paper works to INS but I went to the second school and didn't tell anything to the first school. I went full time in summer&fall,97 and winter quarter of 98 to the second school. 3 quarters in a row. Then I didn't go spring quarter and summer quarter. And then I started taking classes in the second school and abandoned the first school. I figured I had the I-20. Meanwhile both school send notices to INS that I was not in school and I was not aware of it. I have taken full time classes every semester since fall,98 to Spring 01 (semester system)in the first school and then took just 1 course in fall, 01. I completed my degree and again I started another degree in the same school this semester as a full time. Thats when I visited the international office and found out I should have come here a long time ago? They said they will help me do the status adjustment. My question is that is INS going to screw me because
a. 2 i-20s and not fixing that.
b. being illegal for a long time.
c. 2 quarters off in a row.
d. taking 1 class in 1 of the semesters although my last course for that degree.
e. I also worked sometimes.

I am going to write a letter to INS. What should I say?

27-Mar-2002 04:28 AM
 Re: f1 status mix-up. Help me write to INS.
InTrouble
Hiding any information would not help in this case (specially now). Write everything you have written here. However, don't forget to add why you had done like this. Proper explaining and resoanable causes should be given. Take help from your international student advisor in drafting the application.

12-Apr-2002 11:09 PM
 Re: f1 status mix-up. Help me write to INS.
CTzen Jane
Has the INS sent you a notice regarding your 'problem'? If not, then they probably don't care or are too busy dealing with the Mexicans to even bother. I suggest talking to a lawyer or if you wanna save some money, try calling them up from a remote location to discuss your problem but do not reveal your name or school.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 08:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved