Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
31-Jul-2001 10:36 PM
  Need Help W/ F1 Visa
Laura
Hello,

I live in Mexico City, I plan to come to US in mid Auguest on a tourist Visa. I would like to Attend a community college for the fall semester. Will the school allow me to attend with just a tourist visa? How do I get a F1 visa? How long do I have to be in the country before applying for an F1 visa? Can I start school right away?

09-Aug-2001 06:58 PM
 Re: Need Help W/ F1 Visa
Tom
Some students get a tourist visa in order to "look for" schools. Then they apply for change in status when they find a school they like. However, the school you choose should give you advice on this.

TO get a visa, apply to your school first and then they will tell you how to get your visa and if a tourist visa is OK.

Go to my program's web page for an example. CLick "APPLICATION"
http://www.uni.edu/ciep

22-Aug-2001 03:15 AM
Serge
The school would probably allow you to attend on H-1 but it is advisable not to apply for a change of status until 3 or 4 months after you come to the US. INS may even contact the school to check when you first contacted them - so it's probably better not to start school on H-1. Try to wait until the next semester if you can.

The thing is if you apply soon after coming to the US INS would think you came with an intention to change the status and you are not allowed to do that. Unless you get a "prospective student" tourist visa like Tom mentioned - I'm not sure Mexico city is the best place to get it.

30-Aug-2001 11:57 PM
InTrouble
As Serge has mentioned, you can not apply for change of status within 90 days of your arrival. Also, if INS finds out that you have applied for the school anytime before this 90 days period, it may deny your change of status application.

Most schools allow student enrollment regardless your visa status. Students can enroll even when they applied for change of status and waiting for it to be approved.

N.B. Now a days INS is very strick about these matters and scrutinize all applications very carefully.

14-Jul-2005 04:09 AM
priya
Community member
Home Coutry:
hi
chek - Visa Info in
http://www.f1study.com

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri May 01:05 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved