Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
25-Jun-2001 02:38 PM
  REINSTATEMENT?? IN STATUS??
kar
I hear everyone talking about being reinstated and being in status--what is this ????

25-Jun-2001 03:27 PM
 Re: REINSTATEMENT?? IN STATUS??
Serge
INS set a number of rules for foreign students. Such as being a "full-time student", keeping a valid i-20, not working without a permit, having a valid passport. Your I-94 is valid for the "duration of status", that is as long as you obey these rules.

However, the only person who can actually determine if you follow these rules is your international student advisor. It is part of her job. If you take less then a full course of studies or skip a semester, for instance, your advisor may declare you "out of status". Some advisors are strict about it, others are not. In some schools there's hardly any supervision at all.

Even if your advisor decided that you are out of status INS does not know about it unless the advisor reports you to them. There's no standard procedure for advisors to report students. Most advisors claim they do not report out of status students to INS in most cases.

If an advisor decided you are out of status you can continue your studies but you can't get stuff like OPT and change your status to anything else (like H-1). To get back in status you normally have to apply to INS for "reinstatement".

Some advisors prefer to avoid reinstatement application since by applying for it you declare to INS you are out of status (INS doesn't know about it until then) and if your application is denied you "overstay" your status, same as you overstay your tourist visa. It's what Jack is talking about - the overstay "clock" starts ticking. You become an "illegal alien" if you don't leave in this situation.

The alternative to reinstatement is leaving US and reentering with a new "initial attendance" I-20, it's only possible if your old F-1 visa is still valid. Otherwise you would have to reapply for a new visa - a much more involved procedure.

I kind of learned it from this board, maybe I missed something.

25-Jun-2001 04:41 PM
InTrouble
I have a question then. Is there any way we can know if the student advisor has notified INS about going out-of-status?

FYI, our ISO advisor is a very cold person I should say.

25-Jun-2001 04:58 PM
InTrouble
Also another two cents....INS is upgrading its foreign student database and is going to automate most manual data inputing processes. The new system is called SEVP. They have started doing it after it was found that one of the bombers in the World Trade Center was an out-of-status student from some middle-Eastern country. I guess one person can be good enough to drown all of us!

There may be a $99.00 fee for all students who are granted admission in the USA. The fee is for this database!

26-Jun-2001 02:14 AM
Serge
I heard something about the database, but I thought it's still under construction...

I don't know how a student can find out if she/he was reported to INS. I wanted to ask it myself. If noone answers we'll start a separate topic on this - it's really bothering me.

[ This message was edited by: Serge on: 6-26-2001 02:06 ]

30-Jun-2001 02:36 AM
Brian
It's actually the CIPRIS (Coordinated Interagency Partnership Regulating International Students) system and is currently being beta tested in Atlanta). It's simply a tracking system using the barcode on your visa.

CIPRIS was mandated in the 1996 Amendment to the IRA. It's had a lot of problems one of them being cost. Last year the INS proposed that students pay a fee of anywhere from $50 to $200 for students to get their visas and pay CIPRIS. Schools hated that idea and are lobbying the INS for a smaller or no fee.

In short, dont' worry about it. The 1996 IRAIRA mandated that the system be up an running by 1999. Two years later it's still not even close to being implemented. Another big problem is that with the automatic reporting, the INS will be notified of thousands of F-1 violations a year. They can't even keep up with the ones they have now on the honor system. It will happen eventially but there's some bugs to be worked out.

20-Jun-2002 06:12 AM
XMAN
If the reinstatement will approved from INS while he/she was out of status, is that mean that he/she can apply for OPT?

20-Jun-2002 02:05 PM
InTrouble
Yes. You can. You, however, have to have, at least 9 months in valid student status. It can be prior to your getting out of status or after that.

20-Jun-2002 02:34 PM
Dinky
INS has asked all the colleges and universities to report all the F1 students who miss, a semester drop out. colleges and universities are supposed to report within 24 hours. starting Jan. 2003. any college or university not fail to do, will not be able to accept International students!

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Fri Sep 10:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved