Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
22-Jan-2001 09:08 PM
  Serge, for you
alex
I posted this earlier:

J-1 2-Year requirement Posted 1-19-2001 00:45

-----------------------------------------------------
In the spring 1993, I won a competition administered by USIA and became selected as an exchange student. I signed papers for J-1 visa incl. the 2-year requirement. I came to the US in June 1993 and held J-1 intil June 1994. Then I went back to Russia for 2 months and got an F-1 to go to college. I held F-1 for 4 years while in college since the summer 1994.
Then in 1998 I applied for student optional practical training and got that for 1 year. This is how I ended up working for a company in California for 1 year (August 1998-July 1999).

My F-1 opt training was going to get over in August and I decided to go to grad school in Canada for 2 years in the hopes that this will fulfill my 2-year requirement. I made inquiries about applying for a J-1 2-year requirement waiver but it looked like my chances are about 1 out of a million.

So I ended up here in Victoria, BC. Since August 1999 I held a student autorisation (a Canadian equivalent of F-1). I can get a 1 year of practical training here upon graduation in June 2001. But not in the US because I already used it up.

I would like to go back to California to work for my old company (OPT) and thus I am pursuing H-1. I have considered other options but not seriously because it appears that they apply to people only in 'special circumstances' such
as a
political asylum.

I've had to go thru a lot to earn my education in North America. If I go back to Russia, I would either end up with a ridiculously low-paying job or in the military.

I would like to know what my options are that would allow me to take a serious shot at coming to the US.

Going to Russia for 2 years is not an option for me at this point. Needless to say, it negates my MBA and plans to work and settle in North America.

Thanks.
Alex

18-Jan-2001 11:45 PM
 Re: Serge, for you
Serge
I've seen it, I just don't know the details about J-1 2-
year requirements. I'll ask around.

22-Jan-2001 09:15 PM
alex
Serge, You seem to be knowledgable about this. Waht country are you from? What year are yuou in? Where are you and what are you studying?

22-Jan-2001 09:59 PM
Serge
I'm Russian-Israeli, at the moment in NYC. I'm
taking some CE courses on computer graphics.
I'm one of the F1Studen.com people. It's our
school project.

22-Jan-2001 11:45 PM
alex
I am 24 and have a Master's degree in Business Administration. I can provide you with valuable advice if you are interested in pursuing graduate study. If you just want to talk, email me ay3374@yahoo.ca

23-Jan-2001 06:39 AM
Serge
Personally I am not planning to get a degree right now, but it would be nice if you write a short article to our "word-of-mouth" section, so everybody could read and learn. I'm sure many people would like to learn about studying in Canada, too.

You could e-mail it to feedback@f1student.com. It doesn't have to be under you real name.

Thanks, though.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sun Sep 07:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved