Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
22-Aug-2001 11:03 AM
  Credit Card!
Peyman
Dear all,

In brief, I am a junior Computer Engineering Student at university of Shahid Beheshti, Tehran, Iran. Due to the Iran policies we don't have credit card (such as Visa or Mastercard) here and we have it's own problems too!

but I love research on "Network Security" and wanna apply for US universities. How can i issue a Credit Card in order to pay application fee and other stuff?

Methinks NextCard and other facilities are just for Americans, because Security number is needed! and Iran is not listed in their countries lists? but I LOVE RESEARCH ON NETWORK SECURITY !!!

What should I do?

I welcome every suggestion
I really appreciate a kind and useful answer!
Thanks for notice and reply ;)
Peyman Nasirifard

31-Aug-2001 10:40 PM
 Re: Credit Card!
InTrouble
First you need to get admission, then you should think about paying fees (using credit cards).
You can search for schools that work on 'network security'. You can write to professors there who are working on your subject of interest. Let them know that you want to do raserch under them. Sometimes, they give research assistanceship (RA) before you arrive to USA.

In most cases, graduate students end up paying full tuition (around $4,000) for the first semester. By the time the second semeter starts, they get some kind of funding that covers two-third of their tuition fee. at the same time, they get some sort of credit cards which they can use to pay the tuition.

If you seriously spend some time corresponding with professors who are in network security, you will find many who are willing to give you RA.

Credit card is not a big factor here. Good luck.

23-Sep-2001 04:57 AM
 Re: Credit Card!
Serge
In brief, you need a Social Security Number to get a credit card. If you are not in the US on a student visa you probably won't be able to get it.

You'll need to use a solid proof of your family's funds to apply for a student visa. They wouldn't accept a credit card as a proof of finances anyway. And as far as i know you can't apply directly from Iran since you don't have an American embassy over there.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 04:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved