Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
27-Jul-2001 03:34 AM
  PLEASE HELP DON'T KNOW WAHT TO DO - URGENT
gino
Hi
First of all thank's for this wonderfull Message board.
In 1997 i got a 5 Years Student Visa from my country ITALY.This visa will expire on 10/2002
In that same year(1997) i went in USA (L.A) and start a computer course in university ; after 1 year i was unable to paid my tuition and stop going to school.
I stay in the USA for another 1 year without going to school.
In may 1999 i was completly broke (no money) and go back to my country Italy.
Now i want to go back TO USA with the student status (my F1 visa is still valid until 10/2002 but it has the name of my first unyversity on it ).
What should i do to back in the USA with the student status ?
Do i need to apply for a new VISA ?
Thank for your help guys
Gino

27-Jul-2001 04:26 PM
 Re: PLEASE HELP DON'T KNOW WAHT TO DO - URGENT
klinikl
Normally you should be able to use your old visa with a new I-20 from some school. To get a new I-20 you'll have to present a recent proof of finances to the school.

The thing is that even though you were out of status for a year most student advisors wouldn't report you to the INS unless they are some kind of fascist pigs. That means INS most likely doesn't have a clue you were out of status. They may ask you on the border if you were out of status and why you quit your school - so come up with something. Like you had to return due to family problems or whatever. Have some solid proof of finances with you.

As usual you are not guaranteed that INS will let you in but chances are they will. Note that you have to get a new I-20 BEFORE you go to US.

27-Jul-2001 10:40 PM
 Re: PLEASE HELP DON'T KNOW WAHT TO DO - URGENT
gino
Thank's very much i did not know really what to do i will now find somw I-20
Once again Thank's

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 07:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved