Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
15-Dec-2001 06:54 PM
  Proof of Finances
Chris
When I apply for a F-1 visa, I need to show that I have at least one year's worth (tuition + living as shown on I-20) plus I need to show evidence that I can pay for the entire stay (4 years in my case).

I have the one year of tuition and living expenses in my account -- the question is, does the Consulate officer really check if I have the funds for the remaining three years? Do I really need a letter of support (from parents, for example) and would I need to attach their bank statement? They are in a bit of financial trouble now...

Also, if I have the entire 4 year's worth of money in my account, in your experience do they ask for proof as to where you got this money from?

Thanks, please tell me your experience with this -- I am aware of the "official rules" but I know things are oftentimes different and I'd love to hear the stories from those who have gone through the application process.

Chris

18-Dec-2001 08:55 PM
 Re: Proof of Finances
InTrouble
The Consulate officer can ask for anything. The office has to make sure that the person who is asking for a non-immigrant type of visa (such as F-1) has no intention to stay in the USA after his/her intended period.

If your parents are in a bit of financial trouble now, you may show the consulate your parent's annual income and tax return documents that states that they would have enough fund within these four years to support you.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 08:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved