Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
09-Nov-2000 03:06 PM
  Changing status B1/B2 to an F1 visa (?!)
Tamara
I read on this site that it is possible to change the status from an B1 to an F1 visa. My question is does the university deal with this process or I have to ?
I've recently contacted UCLA asking about this issue, and the Internat'l Studnt Office told me that they don't deal with it anymore, that they would just give me the I-20 form and I would have to give the completed form to consulate. I'm already in the US, came with the idea of doing it within the country, my I-94 expires in april, 01; and I'm not planning in going back to my country until i obtain the f1 visa.
so what am i supposed to do if i want to appy to ucla?? should I do it with an immigration lawyer??
Any advice would be greatly apreciated, thanks!

Tam

09-Nov-2000 10:01 PM
 Re: Changing status B1/B2 to an F1 visa (?!)
Rick
It sounds like you're wanting to change you're visa classification to F-1. This is different from getting an F-1 visa (in your passport). The int'l. student advisor at UCLA should be more helpful than he or she has been so far. That office should have the form you need (form I-539), and should be able to help you fill it out. I believe the current cost for a change of visa classification is $120.

If you just arrived in the U.S., you could go ahead and start school and then initiate the application for a change of visa classification toward the end of the time that your I-94 is valid. You'll still be legal after it expires, as long as you get your application in sometime before it does.

UCLA shouldn't be able to stop you from enrolling merely because you're in B-2 status. And they should help you with the change of status application. If the advisor you talked with is unhelpful, see if you can find someone else there who knows what he or she is talking about. (You may have talked with an admissions advisor who has authority to issue I-20s, but may know nothing about how to handle change of status applications. The right person is probably in another office entirely... something like "Int'l. Student Services.")

Good luck.

10-Nov-2000 09:21 PM
 Re: Changing status B1/B2 to an F1 visa (?!)
Serge
It is unusual for a large university not to help students with their change-of-status applications. They don't have to do it, however. The least they should do is give you all the forms and instructions on how to fill them out and where to mail them.

It doesn't really matter who submits the forms to INS. Lawyers can do it too, but I don't think it would improve your chances. One reason to use a lawyer is that they may know if local INS is likely to cause problems and what can be done to prevent that.

If you submit the forms yourself you have to attach a short personal letter emphasizing you did not come to the US with an intention to study. You have to tell them you have unexpectedly changed your plans.

Here's the INS forms page, you'll need I-539 (it comes with instructions):

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

And it's true that you won't get a new visa, just status. You will have to apply for a new visa if you go back to your country. You can only apply for a visa from abroad.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 03:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved