Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
28-Nov-2000 07:11 PM
  Re-entering with F-1 visa?
bmozaffari
Hi everyone,

I will have my F-1 visa stamped in my passport in a few days. I'm still not sure what it will look like, but I have the following questions:

As I understand, the visa will have D/S for duration, so how long will the visa be valid? Or is the validity 3 months from the date of issuance?

More specifically, I want to know how I could travel abroad and re-enter the US without applying for a new visa. Will I be able to do that only for the first 3 months... or what?!

I do understand the concept of staying "in-status", what I don't understand is what a "valid visa" is, and when one has it.

Sincerely, Babak

28-Nov-2000 11:07 PM
 Re: Re-entering with F-1 visa?
Rick
The visa allows you to enter the U.S. for the period of time that it is valid, so long as you have the right accompanying document. You'll need to present an I-20 form from the school you're planning on attending in order to get the visa. Once you enter the U.S., the I-20 will be stamped "D/S" for "duration of status," and the entry date will be stamped on it as well. You should also be given an I-94 card that will be stamped with the same information. Keep these in a safe place.

Maintaining status amounts to maintaining a full course of study at the school on whose I-20 you entered the U.S., and otherwise not working illegally (there are other ways to fall out of status, but that's the basic idea...)

You can stay for the duration of your status, which means as long as you remain a full-time student on a valid I-20. Once you graduate, you'll have 60 days to either apply for a work permit, apply for a change of visa classification, or leave.

If your visa will expire in three months, you don't have to leave, though you could travel to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands for up to 30 days and return to the U.S., but for such a trip you'll need to hold onto your I-94 card, have your passport & expired visa with you, and your I-20 (recently signed on page 4 by your int'l. student advisor).

You can't get a new visa from within the U.S., but if you're from Japan and perhaps a few other countries you can apply for a new visa through the mail. Ask your int'l. student advisor about whether that option applies to you.

Good luck.

29-Nov-2000 06:56 PM
bmozaffari
Dear Rick,

Thank you, you answered some of my questions, but not the main one. I have not yet had my f1 visa stamped in my passport (but I've been told that it's ready). You say "If your visa will expire in three months", I assumed a visa would be for 3 months, but I don't know how it will look like. So my question, more clearly is:

What is the validity of a student visa (where is it writteb/determined) and how long is it usually for? And during its validity, can one use it to enter the country several times (doesn't one need a multiple entry visa for that)??

TIA, Babak

30-Nov-2000 10:17 AM
bmozaffari
Dear Rick,

Thank you, you answered some of my questions, but not the main one. I have not yet had my f1 visa stamped in my passport (but I've been told that it's ready). You say "If your visa will expire in three months", I assumed a visa would be for 3 months, but I don't know how it will look like. So my question, more clearly is:

What is the validity of a student visa (where is it writteb/determined) and how long is it usually for? And during its validity, can one use it to enter the country several times (doesn't one need a multiple entry visa for that)??

TIA, Babak

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 01:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved