Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
10-Dec-2000 08:41 PM
  F-1 status
yumeng
I entered US 5 years ago as a F-1 student.
But the school I used to get visa could not give me the funding it promised. So I have to go to an ESL(without attending the fist school). Now I am going to get my MS degree next month. Is it legal for not attending the school specified on my visa? If not what is my status now? Can I still apply H-1B right now?
Thanks for your help!

[ This message was edited by: yumeng on: 12-10-2000 20:50 ]

11-Dec-2000 02:32 AM
 Re: F-1 status
Rick
Once you're here, you can transfer to any school you want, so long as you follow the standard procedure for transfering (getting a new I-20 processed by the int'l. student advisor of the school you're transfering to). The visa has nothing to do with your status at that point. 'Doesn't matter what school is noted on it.

11-Dec-2000 05:11 AM
 Re: F-1 status
If you got I-20 forms from your new schools authorized by the INS (that would be a standard transfer procedure) you are in status and you can apply for a change of status to H-1.

If you don't have a valid I-20 that means that you are out of status. INS may not know that you are out of status if your first school didn't report you to the INS. In that case you could leave the country and apply for an H-1 visa from abroad.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 01:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved