Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
04-Dec-2001 12:31 PM
  Obtaining a visa after the following things happen to you
crispy
Can you provide me some tips on how I can get a student visa after the following things have happened to me.

I got a place to Study Computer Science at Slippery Rock University in Pittsburgh. I have applied for the visa twice now but I have been denied both times. At first when I got there the consular told me that he could not issue me a visa because I did not have a C pass in Math subject. The consular also asked if I had done courses close to Computer Science and the kind of employment I am presently doing. Unfortunately I had not carried my college diplomas and certificates. I told the Coordinator of International Admissions and she did send me a fax a week later stating the following things. The below message is what she said.

I am sorry to learn that you were not successful in obtaining a student visa. I write with some information that may be helpful in the event you are able to reapply.

You informed me that you were denied a student visa because your G.C.E. O-level grade in Mathematics was a "D." According to the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO), a minimum of five acceptable G.C.E.
O-level passes (A,B,C) qualifies an applicant for admission. Even though your Mathematics grade was a "D," you received acceptable passes in seven other subjects; thus, actually exceeding the minimum requirement for admission. Moreover, you have successfully completed a Diploma in Software applications from The City and Guilds of London Institute.

If you are able to reapply for a student visa, take this letter with you. The INS officer is welcome to contact me should they have any questions or need further information.

A week later I made another application and went back to the US embassy but the consular still denied to give me a visa. The second time I went to the Embassy I had gone back to with the fax that I got from the Coordinator of International Admissions which is the above message in bold, my diplomas and certificates and also a letter from my employer. After I presented all this staff the consular told me that she can not give me a visa if I do not have a pass in Mathematics. To my surprise I thought the college is the one that decides whether I qualify to do the course or not.

How best can I present my case and what are my chances of getting a visa. I have already paid the fees for the first semester. Give me as much information as you can to help.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 10:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved