Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
04-Oct-2001 12:57 PM
  What can I do now????
Tom
Hello my girlfriend was here on a visitors visa, her status expired before she could change it ,two weeks ago...now I am very feaked out and I no I have valid reason to be but what can we do ?

Does anyone have any idea what can be done once your status has expired? Can we o to the INS and say she lost it? PLease help me.

04-Oct-2001 06:03 PM
 Re: What can I do now????
Serge
She "overstayed" her B-2 visa. It's worse than losing status. From now on if she overstays her visa for more than 6 months she's going to be denied reentry to the US for 5 years (10 years if she overstays for a year). At least that's what I remember - check the INS website on this.

If she comes from a country where it's relatively easy to get a US visa she shouldn't panic. She can leave the US now and apply for a student visa from abroad. Or her tourist visa may be "multiple entry" so she can reenter as a tourist. I'm not sure if INS and Consulates are tough on people who overstay their visas for just couple of weeks. I'm sure she can't change her status to F-1 inside the US though.

If she's from somewhere in the third world I guess she has to keep staying illegally and hope for the amnesty.

Try getting more professional advice than mine.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 04:09 pm
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved