Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
02-Oct-2000 10:31 PM
  on visit visa looking for social security # & driving licence
shehzad75
hello

i have a 5 years multiple visa , expiring in june 2005.
i have following questions
how can i get social security # & what r the benifits?
how can i get permanent drivers licence?
Can i apply for a job & get it?
what is the procedure to get work permit? as i am a qualified cost & management accountant

03-Oct-2000 01:56 PM
 Re: on visit visa looking for social security # & driving licence
Bob
If you're on a B-2 tourist visa, you cannot legally work.

The social security administration shouldn't issue you a social security number, as you have to prove eligibility for employment in order to get a social security card.

Criteria for getting a driver's license will probably vary from state to state. You'll have to find out what the policies are in whichever state you're residing.

04-Oct-2000 05:30 AM
 Re: on visit visa looking for social security # & driving licence
Serge
I don't think there's a way to get a Social Security Number.

However, you can get a driving license. Read F1Student.com advice on the subject, most of it applies to tourists as well as students. It may be difficult for you to get enough ID points, but it's still possible. It's true that rules are different in different states. I think the most liberal place I've heard of is Florida. You can pass 2 tests and get your license at the same day. I don't think they have a 6 points of ID rule.

Another thing you can do as a tourist is open a bank account. You will have the same problem collecting enough proof of ID, but it can be done. At least you should be able to open a savings account. If you get your driving license you can get a checking account as well.

I don't know about working permits and SS# benefits. Be sure not to overstay your status (I-94) if you want to become a student or get a working permit.

Good luck.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Mon Sep 05:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved