Help Community
Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

AbroadPlanet Forums -> Help Community Post new topic
Author
Topic
02-Jan-2002 06:08 AM
  Help Im an Arab with no hope!!!!
butterflykissxox
I am a student from Bahrain out of status and with exp. visa and also engaged to get married. How can I get back my status before I get married? If I go back to my country can I get another visa (student/visitor)?
If I try to leave the country will I be arrested for having an expired visa?

03-Jan-2002 12:24 AM
 Re: Help Im an Arab with no hope!!!!
Frank
Your note leaves it unclear as to what the full problem is. If your visa is expired, that's not a problem, as it only gets you into the country. If your I-94 or I-20 is expired, or you're in F-1 status and haven't been in school for a while (or have worked illegally, or haven't been full-time), than that may be a problem.

No one will arrest you for having an expired visa, though it's generally not a good time to otherwise be out-of-status. Do you have an int'l. student advisor that can give you some advice or access your situation somewhat better?

04-Jan-2002 06:19 AM
butterflykissxox
Frank...thank you for replying...I am an F1 student that has been out of status for 6 monthes and my visa has been expired since Sept. I am going back to my country (Bahrain) in March and wonder if it is going to be a problem getting a visa from the consulate there. I am trying for a visitor or an I20 to come back and marry then become resident. How should I go about it?

04-Jan-2002 07:52 PM
Frank
Bahrain may be a hard place to get a visa at the moment, but your being out of status now may have nothing to do with it. If you're out-of-status for having not enrolled (basically being an overstay), then INS probably doesn't have a record of it right now. (In a year U.S. schools will be adopting an electronic data-base & tracking system that'll help INS to better focus on who is out-of-status.)

Anyway, unless you were out-of-status and INS had made some judgment about your case (by denying you a reinstatement to F-1 status), then you shouldn't have any special problems in applying for another visa. I wouldn't walk up to the consular official and volunteer the notion that I was out-of-status the last time I was here. Otherwise you should stand as much chance as the next person.

Community Moderators: Neo, LILKA
The time now is: Sat Sep 06:09 am
Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2002, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved